What's new

Switched from Merlin's latest to latest Asus, stopped issues...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wl0: Dec 12 2013 14:32:36 version 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)

I guess I will have to unpack the firmwares and check the wireless driver MD5 to know.

Is that version number a mistype?

I thought the latest version is 374.43
I've gone back to Merlin's latest after trying Asus' latest and then a Merlin SDK5 build.

I recently discovered that the EM driver hasn't been included in the last couple of firmware releases. It never got properly committed to Github, so at some point in the past few months it got overwritten by an older, regular RT-N66U driver. That would explain why some people reported a range drop in recent releases.

Is there a silver lining to that cloud? Does that mean we will NOT have to do a full reset when upgrading from your current N66U firmware to the next one?

Is there a silver lining to that cloud? Does that mean we will NOT have to do a full reset when upgrading from your current N66U firmware to the next one?

Probably won't be necessary, but as usual I cannot be 100% sure since I have no idea what changes in the closed source driver.

Ok, now I'm at a loss.

Code:
merlin@mint-dev ~/fmk/trunk $ md5sum 39em/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko 
6a556f44a27f2afbae47a09d1cd3d6f0  39em/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko

merlin@mint-dev ~/fmk/trunk $ md5sum 39/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko 
6a556f44a27f2afbae47a09d1cd3d6f0  39/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko

merlin@mint-dev ~/fmk/trunk $ md5sum 38/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko 
6a556f44a27f2afbae47a09d1cd3d6f0  38/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko

merlin@mint-dev ~/fmk/trunk $ md5sum 38em/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko 
6a556f44a27f2afbae47a09d1cd3d6f0  38em/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko

merlin@mint-dev ~/fmk/trunk $ md5sum 43/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko
6a556f44a27f2afbae47a09d1cd3d6f0  43/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko

So, any gain from the EM build didn't come from the driver itself (since it seems it never got used at compile time), but probably from enabling EM mode in the firmware itself. Either that, or this was a pretty nice placebo effect.

Last edited:
I've gone back to Merlin's latest after trying Asus' latest and then a Merlin SDK5 build.

I upgraded my RT-AC66U from Merlin's latest (374.43) to ASUS's latest ( Version 3.0.0.4.376.1123 - 7 July 2014) and found the wireless throughput to be about half what I was getting with Merlin (about 20Mbps compared to 38Mbps).

I tried to go back to Merlin's build but the router refused to accept Merlin's file. Had to do a factory default reset and then set up from scratch with Merlin's. PITA :D

Has anyone else experienced such a performance drop?

The new GUI is good so, hopefully, Merlin can integrate some of these changes in his next release.

Has anyone else experienced such a performance drop?

I feel my network is less stable after the upgrade. Client's are not visible on the repeater.

Using Asus' 376.1071 on the N66U the wireless range was awful at 100%. I lost a lot of coverage with this firmware.

It was worse than DD-WRT set to 71 mW on my old D-Link DIR-615.

Newest isn't always the best.

You have to experiment to find out which firmware version works best for your environment.

Yes, everybody wants the latest and greatest. Yes, everybody wants the maximum possible speed. But, at what cost? Stability? Reliability? Features? Security?

Find the one that fits your needs, and stick with it.

Newest isn't always the best.

You have to experiment to find out which firmware version works best for your environment.

Yes, everybody wants the latest and greatest. Yes, everybody wants the maximum possible speed. But, at what cost? Stability? Reliability? Features? Security?

Find the one that fits your needs, and stick with it.

I'm sorry, but what you are suggesting is just plain silly. Any reasonable, rational, normal person is going to want the most secure firmware, which is usually the latest.

I'm sorry, but what you are suggesting is just plain silly. Any reasonable, rational, normal person is going to want the most secure firmware, which is usually the latest.

What he probably means is that sometimes new firmwares can introduce regressions and new issues. Look as a good example at the RT-AC68U firmwares from Asus which would cause the router to randomly reboot.

I agree that when it comes to range or speed, these should be secondary to stability and security. But there has been cases in the past where new firmwares created more serious issues than what they resolved.

What he probably means is that sometimes new firmwares can introduce regressions and new issues. Look as a good example at the RT-AC68U firmwares from Asus which would cause the router to randomly reboot.

I agree that when it comes to range or speed, these should be secondary to stability and security. But there has been cases in the past where new firmwares created more serious issues than what they resolved.

I think you should re-read his post. He says "stick" with it. Which is absurd.

Ok, now I'm at a loss.

Code:
merlin@mint-dev ~/fmk/trunk $ md5sum 39em/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko 
6a556f44a27f2afbae47a09d1cd3d6f0  39em/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko

merlin@mint-dev ~/fmk/trunk $ md5sum 39/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko 
6a556f44a27f2afbae47a09d1cd3d6f0  39/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko

merlin@mint-dev ~/fmk/trunk $ md5sum 38/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko 
6a556f44a27f2afbae47a09d1cd3d6f0  38/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko

merlin@mint-dev ~/fmk/trunk $ md5sum 38em/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko 
6a556f44a27f2afbae47a09d1cd3d6f0  38em/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko

merlin@mint-dev ~/fmk/trunk $ md5sum 43/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko
6a556f44a27f2afbae47a09d1cd3d6f0  43/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/kernel/drivers/net/wl.ko
So, any gain from the EM build didn't come from the driver itself (since it seems it never got used at compile time), but probably from enabling EM mode in the firmware itself. Either that, or this was a pretty nice placebo effect.

I always wondered about this as I did not see much change between non em and em builds in regards to wifi.

Can the 1071 firmware use 5.100.138.20 driver from the 276 source?

I finally figured out I can not use any of the sdk6 builds without having connection issues so need to try to get the sdk5 wl driver into the latest firmware if possible.

I am one of the few who had no issues with the first sdk5 driver

5.100.138.20 runs perfectly

5.110.xx connection issues

6.xxx major connection issues

I always wondered about this as I did not see much change between non em and em builds in regards to wifi.

Can the 1071 firmware use 5.100.138.20 driver from the 276 source?

Not without a lot of code changes. You will have to remove the PPPOE CTF support from the kernel, for starter. Various includes and headers will also have to be downgraded to their SDK5 versions. Probably downgrade various other libraries as well. And certain options such as Optimize for XBox will no longer work (making the router half unusable with an Xbox 360's wifi). Gone the PPPoE HW acceleration as well.

In short: a lot of work, which I cannot do anymore.

I think you should re-read his post. He says "stick" with it. Which is absurd.

So you'd rather try each and every firmware that comes out hoping that either Asus or Merlin gets it right?

35-4 SDK5 is the firmware I use because its stable and reliable. Up and running for almost 3 months now with no drops on either wireless bands. IPv6 works out of the box with little configuration. Its performance is good. I get the advertised 50/10 cable connection that I get from Comcast. Actually because of Powerboost, I get more like 57/11. That speed is attainable on both the 2.4 and 5GHZ channels as well.

The only thing wrong with this firmware is that Parental Controls doesn't work properly, which I kind of want to use. QoS? I don't use that because I have enough speed to go around. Security issues? None, because the recent ones that were discovered either don't affect the router, or I don't use the feature that is vulnerable.

I was like the majority of you guys once. Wanted the latest. Wanted the fastest. Wanted the best. And all in one package. When you finally come to realize that it is impossible to have your cake and eat it too, you will finally enjoy what you have.

35-4 SDK5 is the firmware I use because its stable and reliable.

Yes, this is the firmware I will be staying on.

Sad as the RT-N66U was a beast when I first bought it then slowly with new wifi drivers Asus has turned it into a piece of junk.

Since I am used to Netgear and Dlink (who never upgrade their firmware) I guess I can just stay with this firmware until I get rid of the router.

Compiled and tried 44 alpha 4 for a bit and then went back to sdk5. Will try 44 alpha 4 again once I have more time to test.

So you'd rather try each and every firmware that comes out hoping that either Asus or Merlin gets it right?

35-4 SDK5 is the firmware I use because its stable and reliable. Up and running for almost 3 months now with no drops on either wireless bands. IPv6 works out of the box with little configuration. Its performance is good. I get the advertised 50/10 cable connection that I get from Comcast. Actually because of Powerboost, I get more like 57/11. That speed is attainable on both the 2.4 and 5GHZ channels as well.

The only thing wrong with this firmware is that Parental Controls doesn't work properly, which I kind of want to use. QoS? I don't use that because I have enough speed to go around. Security issues? None, because the recent ones that were discovered either don't affect the router, or I don't use the feature that is vulnerable.

I was like the majority of you guys once. Wanted the latest. Wanted the fastest. Wanted the best. And all in one package. When you finally come to realize that it is impossible to have your cake and eat it too, you will finally enjoy what you have.

FWIW, Comcast dont use speed boost anymore they phased it out about a year ago, so your speeds of 57/11 are actual. :)

Ok, now I'm at a loss.

Code:

Just curious, but if the gains came from EM mode being turned on in the firmware, can this be done through a NVRAM setting or is this still something that requires the driver to enable?