What's new

Switching between VPN Clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hollywood

New Around Here
Hello,

I have 3 OpenVPN Client pages setup, 1st with VPNone_Los Angeles, 2nd with VPNone_Vancouver, and 3rd with VPNtwo, Los Angeles. All three have a Kill Switch (policy rules, 192.168.1.0/24, 0.0.0.0, Route Through VPN).

I only need one Client turned on at a time (for my purposes).

If I am on Client page 3 and want to switch to Client page 1, I have to turn off Client 3 (it updates router 20 seconds), then turn off Kill Switch and apply (another 20 second update), then reactivate Kill Switch on Client 1 (apply), and then turn on Client 1 (another 20 second update).

I want to pick and choose between the 3 profiles, but it seems like once I logon to the router I have to do 4 changes with about 20 seconds between each.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there a better way? Should the Kill Switch be on all of the client profiles, if not which one? I am just looking for the best and easiest way to switch between Clients from a PC.

Thanks!

Should the Kill Switch be on all of the client profiles, if not which one?
No, in your case set the KILL-Switch ONLY for VPN Client 3 see Confused as to how to make the kill switch work
I am just looking for the best and easiest way to switch between Clients from a PC.
Fast switching to a single ACTIVE VPN from a windows PC using a plink.exe Menu-based old-skool .bat file or the modern more flexible method is to trigger the appropriate router commands either explicitly or preferably contained within an intelligent script e.g. VPN switch script invoked by any remote SSH client capable device i.e. phone/tablet not just a WinPC using plink.exe.

Last edited:
Thanks Martineau.
Your first comment is something I did read about but I was not sure if it should be set on the first or last VPN Client. As I am getting older my ability to process logic is getting less and less. Thanks you! Although I would no longer have to toggle the policy rules, I would still have to turn one client off and the other on, correct? Other then the batch file method, would that be the best practice?

Your second answer is also interesting. I'll look at the bat file and router script to see if I can follow it and modify.

Thanks again, Hollywood

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!