What's new

Synology Adds All SSD FlashStation, Diskstation and Virtual Machine Manager

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
synology-fs1018.jpg
Synology has announced all-flash 12-bay desktop and 2 bay SOHO NASes and a VM manager.

Synology’s all-flash 12-bay desktop NAS, the FS1018, runs on Intel’s Pentium D1508 dual-core CPU and 8GB (expandable to 32 GB) of DDR4 EEC memory. Networking is provided through four GbE ports, with expansion options thanks to its PCIe 3.0 x8 slot. Additional interfaces include three USB 3.0 ports and two expansion ports for additional storage options.
synology-ds218.jpg
DS218 is a 2-bay NAS runs a Realtek RTD1296 quad-core CPU and uses 2 GB DDR4 memory. DS218 can use 3.5” HDD and 2.5” HDD/SSD drives and supports Synology Basic, JBOD, RAID 0/1, and Synology’s Hybrid RAID formats. Interfaces include a single GbE port and two USB ports (2.0 and 3.0). Using Video Station, DS218 transcodes 10-bit 4K H.265 video.

Finally, Synology released Virtual Machine Manager, the company’s own hypervisor that virtualizes Linux, Windows and Synology DSM instances, and runs them independently from each other. Virtual Machine Manager uses snapshots and replication for data protection, and when clustered with other Synology NAS devices, uses live migration to help manage resource usage and balance out workloads.

For more information on FS1018, DS218, and Virtual Machine Manager, checkout Synology’s website.

I've been kind of waiting for all-flash NASes to come onto the market because, aside from all the other advantages, they promise to make NASes much more compact, and quiet.

Due to certain quirks about how SSD's work, Synology has done some effort around have to manage the life cycle time of the individual disks...

https://global.download.synology.com/download/Document/WhitePaper/Synology_RAID_F1_WP.pdf

Interesting read.

(FWIW - back in 2014-2015 time frame, I did have a lab setup with an IBM M3 2U server, where we replaced the spinners with SSD's, and we played around with different RAID configurations on both LSI megaraid and also using MDADM/LVM... we found that LVM by itself was fastest in database workload compared to HW raid 0/1/10 or MDADM standalone or MDADM/LVM - from an engineering perspective, it was great, but my Operations team refused to put things into Production - Ops folks are traditionally very conservative there, but for good reasons.)

Unfortunately they are violating the GPL by not providing sources that allow to build a custom firmware, they only provide some parts of the sources and toolchain, which is completely useless.

Unfortunately they are violating the GPL by not providing sources that allow to build a custom firmware, they only provide some parts of the sources and toolchain, which is completely useless.

Seeing that a lot of that lately...

Two ways to look at GPL compliance - one, which most favor, is to deliver the total source - the other is to deliver diff's against GPL code, and then it's a matter of GPLv2 vs. GPLv3, and the other GPL license types (which there are a few).

It gets complicated - that is certain - my rant against hgg on the asuswrt variants/forks was more about delivering the diffs (which never happened).

I think Synology likely decided to do the diff against GPL sources - mostly after the Xpenology thing... and that's fair enough... initially intended to extend the DSM experience on Syno hardware, some folks took it a step further - not unlike XVortex and AsusWRT-RMerlin...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!