What's new

Synology Releases 6 Bay Intel-based NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
sysnology-ds1618plus.jpg
Designed for small and medium-sized businesses, the six-bay DS1618+ desktop NAS is powered by a 64-bit Intel Atom C3538 quad core 2.1 GHz processor and 4 GB DDR4 memory (expandable to 32 GB).

Built with hot-swappable drive bays compatible with 3.5”, 2.5” HDDs and 2.5” SSDs, DS1618+ is expandable to sixteen bays when paired with Synology’s DX517 expansion units bumping storage to 192 TB maximum capacity. The DS1618+ also includes a Gen3 x8 PCIe expansion slot accommodating cards like M.2 SATA SSD cache, or 10 GbE for faster throughput.

Interfaces include four GbE network ports (Link Aggregation/Failover support), three USB 3.0 ports and two eSATA ports.

Available now, the Synology DS1618+ is priced at $799 and comes with a 3-year hardware warranty.

Last edited:
I like Synology but they take such small baby steps with their hardware evolution. This box needs 2 x PCIe expansion slots so caching SSD's and 10GigE can be used simultaneously. Or make a single PCIe card supporting both. QNAP is killing them with hardware offerings.

Synology is gone case right now. Hardware wise, they are already late to the market. Qnap have almost caught up with them on software front.

What is the equivalent QNAP to this - 6+ bays, non -ARM CPU, <$900. I am having trouble finding it..

What is the equivalent QNAP to this - 6+ bays, non -ARM CPU, <$900. I am having trouble finding it..
I'm guessing the TS-673. Its CPU is much more capable (831/2455 single/multi PassMark score on Synology vs 1506/4635 on QNAP), yet it costs more or less the same ($799 for the 4GB version).
Synology is very much behind QNAP in HW, and has no real tangible lead in SW (unless anyone can tell me anything that Synology's SW does better than QNAP's SW).