What's new

Synology RT1900ac vs Asus Ac86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Badstraw

New Around Here
First of all, I’m very happy to be in this community. Lately I’ve been reading a lot about routers, and I’m planning to pull the trigger and buy one. My internet speed is 60Mb-10, so is not that great but I’d like to maximize it.

I was thinking to buy the RT2600AC but it costs 239 dollars in amazon, (I don’t live in the states) My house is not that big, it’s a two story house with 3 bedrooms.

So I got this deal:

The Asus ac86u costs 136 dollars, for some reason it’s a bit cheaper now.

The Synology RT1900 costs 130 dollars.

I don’t use a vpn, so I don’t care about the advantages of that to be honest.

Which one would you order and why?

Amazon, is it considered cheap? [emoji3]
Not quite because during the Black Friday it was either $99 or $89, just check on newegg and google shopping before you buy :) Synology is good for NAS but it didn't perform well during the SNB Testing, specifically the 2.4GHz. I considered Synology.

Not quite because during the Black Friday it was either $99 or $89, just check on newegg and google shopping before you buy :) Synology is good for NAS but it didn't perform well during the SNB Testing, specifically the 2.4GHz. I considered Synology.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.. Actually I haven’t seen the ac86u for less than $150, so I thought it was a good price.

So you say the RT1900AC is not great but better than ASUS?

Thanks, I appreciate the help.. Actually I haven’t seen the ac86u for less than $150, so I thought it was a good price.

So you say the RT1900AC is not great but better than ASUS?
I meant the Synology. Asus I wasn’t keeping track, I tracked the blue cave which dropped to $89.

I’d say the Asus is better than Synology 1900AC model, the 2100AC of them is better though. But wait for the experts opinions as well.

Its sstill $99 on https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833593002

Last edited:
$99 is regular newegg price i believe, retail $199, but it never has reviewed well. the 2600 is nice though, and it costs twice as much.

Reactions: Cyn
$99 is regular newegg price i believe, retail $199, but it never has reviewed well. the 2600 is nice though, and it costs twice as much.
This is the only issue "reviewed", but I haven't seen any real world instances.

As VPN isn't important to you, i would go for the Synology RT2600AC (or Netgear R7800) as they will both be better than the Asus AC86u for wifi coverage.

My RT2600AC was quite a bit worse for WiFi coverage than my RT-AC1900P, which should again be worse than the RT-AC86U.
Unfortunately I've never tried the RT-AC86U but went with a Blue Cave which is better for coverage than my RT-AC1900P
and completely obliterated my RT2600AC (which I've already sold) - mind you I'm mostly talking about 2.4 ghz but still ...

FWIW - I just upgraded from RT-AC68P (1900) to a RT-AC-86U (2900) this week. I was running John's fork on the 68P to avoid the reported decrease in wireless range based on change in ASUS drivers a few years ago. The environment is 3100 sq ft house, all but media room on main floor, no basement. Router is located in master BR closet, which is on one side of the house but centrally located between front and back of house. The AC68P reached every where but with reduced signal in places. The 86U has strong signal throughout. Only been a few days but its been very stable also.

I've owned the 2600 and returned it twice. It had issues with several things, but the one that had me replace it with an 86U was LAN1 would go silent. It had PCM on it, so electrically it was fine, but no traffic would pass on it. Until you restarted the router. Synology was great about getting logs, logging in remotely, etc. They could not fix it however and recommended a return of the unit to the vendor. That is after about 9 months.

So, I did get the seller to refund me and I bought an 86U. I've never had trouble with it so far and it does provide full coverage in a two story house with basement (2000 sq ft) and in the entire .5 acre yard.

Were it me, I'd certainly go with the 86U. In fact, I did.

Last edited:
Yeah, the RT2600AC was a great product as far as features that I needed go, but most importantly the "unstable 2.4 ghz" killed it for me.

I've now been using my Blue Cave upstairs in AP mode and it's working amazingly, and my main router is the Sophos XG115.
That one is working great as well, stable and easy to setup L2TP over IPSEC, includes IPS that prevents malware, viruses on my network.
Overall I'm happy with the Sophos router, and it only cost me about $140 USD ...

Little off topic but here's what it looks like:
https://utm.trysophos.com/