What's new

Synology's 10Gbe mini option

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Clark Griswald

Very Senior Member
Synology offers a space/drawer to install their optional 10Gbe mini, rather than upgrade their outdated 1Gbe (ie DS1522+).
As a DS918+ owner I don't mind the 10Gbe option (albeit their proprietary mini card), yet I'm disappointed that Synology didn't update their 1Gbe ports to a minimum 2.5Gbe.
Global Pandemic, Supply Chain Disruptions, etc I just find the situation ridiculous, when QNAP has been offering faster solutions with their NAS lines for quite some time. Now waiting for @L&LD to put his "Like" for the QNAP bump ;)

I don't see a question here buddy. though that's a crappy PCI x1 vertical design that would just piss me off further when trying to get more speed over the network. Over priced POS captive design BS!!!!! If it were a normal slotting method you could get a 10gbps card for under $100.

I use QNAP for networking though because it's a niche option that just works in most PC designs w/o much fuss. They're reliable on the Aquantia multi-gig speed side of networking and don't tend to have issues in Linux.

You have 2x Gigabit ports with Link Aggregation option. This will give approx. 235MB/sec transfer speed. Do you need more?
Power.jpg

Seriously, I don't NEED 10Gbe, nor any of the multi-gig ul/dl internet speeds, but it would be nice for Synology to maintain some form of competitive hw in their NAS line up, since they only have a few competitors in their market range (consumer/smb). This add-on card is for their new releases, instead of a real nic is a poor decision IMHO