What's new

System Log Entries

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

outlaw78

Regular Contributor
I have 384.18 currently but this was on the last build as well. My system log shows these entries multiple times and several times a day:

"dnsmasq[437]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted"

And this usually shows up before it:

"dnsmasq[437]: possible DNS-rebind attack detected: 2ruly5aj-ae33608f3dea4a7e42219ac5732d33bfb25dba5e-mob.d.aa.online-metrix.net"

My log is completely full of the failed to send packet though.

Any ideas?

My log is filled up with the "failed to send packet: Operation not permitted" message too. It's annoying but I have yet to see any problem.

This is nothing more than DNSMasq protecting you from rebind attacks.

If you lookup the IP of the domain name, you'll see it returns 0.0.0.0, which falls into the category of a *private* (rather than public) network, something typically found in a rebind attack. DNSmasq is refusing to return that IP to the client to protect it. IOW, it's working as intended.
Code:
$ nslookup 2ruly5aj-ae33608f3dea4a7e42219ac5732d33bfb25dba5e-mob.d.aa.online-metrix.net
Server:        127.0.0.53
Address:    127.0.0.53#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    2ruly5aj-ae33608f3dea4a7e42219ac5732d33bfb25dba5e-mob.d.aa.online-metrix.net
Address: 0.0.0.0

Why some ppl get more of these than others is probably just a matter of the websites you happen to frequent, and whether they are more likely to be of malicious intent.

Interesting, I never put those two lines together. My kids have securely.com on their school iPads so I get the rebind error and ignore it.

The other one seemed to go away when I toggle AiProtect.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!