What's new

System Memory running low

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SilentStorm

Regular Contributor
Hey everyone,

1614351661531.png

I'm noticing that each week, my system memory is increasing, and I'm now at 86%. This is on my Asus rog GT AC2900. I'm afraid that eventually, I will run out of system memory.

I currently have CakeQoS, scMerlin and connmon as the addons on my router. I was under the impression that with the USB stick I have, some of the memory would be allocated to there?

1614352114239.png

I have a Swap file created. Does this get used after the system memory is used or can I start allocating some of the memory to it now, if that's how it even works?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have an ac86, and my memory usage looks similar to yours, with one exception: my router is dipping into the (same size as yours) swap by about 14MB, give or take.
I'm running unbound, cake, ntpMerlin, spdMerlin, scMerlin.
It's all good. you've got plenty of memory space left/available.

I have an ac86, and my memory usage looks similar to yours, with one exception: my router is dipping into the (same size as yours) swap by about 14MB, give or take.
I'm running unbound, cake, ntpMerlin, spdMerlin, scMerlin.
It's all good. you've got plenty of memory space left/available.

Thanks so much.

I was just a bit skeptical as I wanted to add another add on (the adblock one.)

Thanks for this informative article by the way. Knowing that the Swap file is slower, is it possible to manually allocate some of the info to the swap file? Or is that all done automatically? Is there anything that's worth allowing to use the Swap file that maybe won't make much of a difference if I put it there?

Thanks so much.

I was just a bit skeptical as I wanted to add another add on (the adblock one.)

Thanks for this informative article by the way. Knowing that the Swap file is slower, is it possible to manually allocate some of the info to the swap file? Or is that all done automatically? Is there anything that's worth allowing to use the Swap file that maybe won't make much of a difference if I put it there?
it's done automagically in the background. the system, like the heart, knows what it wants and needs ;)
If you want to test how well swap works, add the scripts...diversion, unbound, ntpmerlin...they're very well written, and the people who write and maintain them collaborate so the scripts all cooperate and play well together.

it's done automagically in the background. the system, like the heart, knows what it wants and needs ;)
If you want to test how well swap works, add the scripts...diversion, unbound, ntpmerlin...they're very well written, and the people who write and maintain them collaborate so the scripts all cooperate and play well together.
Perfect, so it sounds like I just need to trust the system and let it do its magic. :)

Hey everyone,

View attachment 31304
I'm noticing that each week, my system memory is increasing, and I'm now at 86%. This is on my Asus rog GT AC2900. I'm afraid that eventually, I will run out of system memory.

I currently have CakeQoS, scMerlin and connmon as the addons on my router. I was under the impression that with the USB stick I have, some of the memory would be allocated to there?

View attachment 31305

I have a Swap file created. Does this get used after the system memory is used or can I start allocating some of the memory to it now, if that's how it even works?

A temporary fix for system memory running low would be to plug a USB in and allocate memory to that.

Hey everyone,

View attachment 31304

View attachment 31305

system memory running low possible solution this link may help. Asus router one CPU core 100% usage? :: SG FAQ (speedguide.net)

A temporary fix for system memory running low would be to plug a USB in and allocate memory to that.
So I do have a USB flash drive plugged in, 32gb. How would you allocate memory to there?

Hey everyone,

View attachment 31304

View attachment 31305

You could try this E15761_GT-AC2900_UM_WEB.pdf (asus.com) page 50 I'm sure you could allocate memory to a USB might not work on your modal.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!