What's new

system time on reboot before ntp is wrong

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robs

New Around Here
Hello,
I have an Asus RT-AC86U with Merlin 386.2_6

When I reboot my router, I see in the syslog that the system time is always set in this manner:
May 5 07:05:08 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2021-06-06 12:35:06 EDT)
May 5 07:05:08 kernel: Linux version 4.1.27 (merlin@ubuntu-dev) (gcc version 5.3.0 (Buildroot 2016.02) ) #2 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jun 6 13:18:32 EDT 2021
May 5 07:05:08 kernel: CPU: AArch64 Processor [420f1000] revision 0
May 5 07:05:08 kernel: Kernel command line: coherent_pool=1M cpuidle_sysfs_switch
(... and so on ...)

At some point during boot, ntp kicks in and the time is properly set:
May 5 07:05:22 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start samba)
Jul 20 11:09:00 ntpd: Initial clock set
(... rest of the logs with proper time here ...)

My question is:
Does the RT-AC86U have an internal battery to store the time across reboots?
Is the behaviour that I'm getting normal?

It looks like that time is set at May 5 even after a soft reboot, not only after a power-off/power-on cycle

Thank you,
Roberto

Yes it is normal. These routers do not have battery backed up RTC's.

This is the compile time of the system, or something like that ....

I seem to recall somewhere in the ntpMerlin topics is a discussion of moving the ntp sync in the boot order to some other process/folder/script.
I can only assume that once you've authenticated with your provider, you'd want to reach further beyond them to get a time reference and then continue with whatever else is or needs to happen on the router while clients are renegotiating their connections with it so that they can sync with the network time.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!