What's new

Tabletop SMB APs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snovvman

Regular Contributor
I have a Sonicwall TZ570 as my firewall/router and have been using multiple AC86Us as mesh APs with Ethernet, before that, AC88Us and AC5300. I know they are overkill as APs, but I like the range that these devices offered. As I think about going AX, many have advised to use SMB APs instead. I agree. However, I do not want to ceiling or wall-mount the APs. I have looked at Ubiquiti, Omada, Zyxel, Ubiquiti, and Netgear. None has any good AX/Wi-Fi 6 tabletop options.

Does anyone know of any SMB AX/Wi-Fi 6 tabletop APs?

Thanks.

Personally, I think table units with big antennas look ugly. I think a nice ceiling mount looks good and blends in. And is out of the way on the ceiling.

Adding cable to the ceiling is much easier than walls. You just punch a hole in the ceiling and run the cable.

Last edited:
UniFi U6 Mesh, perhaps? I have no personal experience with that model, but I use and like the U6 Enterprise from the same line.

BTW, just because it says "ceiling mount" doesn't mean you have to mount it on the ceiling. IME you could probably get away with just laying one of the UFO-shaped units flat on your table, if that's what you want. Horizontal range might not be great, but it wouldn't be nil either.

A creative look at UniFi's in-wall units might yield ideas too.

Ah, I thought I remembered having posted a picture of how I have my U6-Ents mounted, and here it is (over on UI's community forum). There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Not true AP (can be used as router as well), but... Netgear WAX206:

1716593731724.png

OpenWrt compatible and easy, not sure about VLANs in AP Mode.

Ah, I thought I remembered having posted a picture of how I have my U6-Ents mounted, and here it is (over on UI's community forum). There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Thanks. I did think about various ways to mount the likes of APs that were designed for wall or ceiling. I came upon this:

From what I can tell, the radiating patterns are generally symmetrical between the front and the rear of the device. I thought it would be more directional toward the front.

Not true AP (can be used as router as well), but... Netgear WAX206:

View attachment 58948

This is actually a very nice form factor, although it seems like it is not available on Amazon and just one used on eBay.

From what I can tell, the radiating patterns are generally symmetrical between the front and the rear of the device. I thought it would be more directional toward the front.
I think you're misreading it --- while there's certainly some transmission out the back of the device, it's typically 5 to 10dB weaker than out the front. (This ratio is basically what the "antenna gain" is on the spec sheets.) In my old house I had an AP mounted on the ceiling of the second floor, and it provided good signal to the living room one floor below and usable-but-not-spectacular signal to my office directly above it, even though devices in the living room were physically perhaps 2x further and there was more stuff in the way.

The Netgear unit @Tech9 mentions might have a more nearly symmetrical antenna pattern, since there's not any obviously-preferred direction for its clients to be in. But units meant for ceiling/wall mounting will have some gain in the front-firing direction.

I think you're misreading it --- while there's certainly some transmission out the back of the device, it's typically 5 to 10dB weaker than out the front. (This ratio is basically what the "antenna gain" is on the spec sheets.) In my old house I had an AP mounted on the ceiling of the second floor, and it provided good signal to the living room one floor below and usable-but-not-spectacular signal to my office directly above it, even though devices in the living room were physically perhaps 2x further and there was more stuff in the way.

The Netgear unit @Tech9 mentions might have a more nearly symmetrical antenna pattern, since there's not any obviously-preferred direction for its clients to be in. But units meant for ceiling/wall mounting will have some gain in the front-firing direction.

Thanks again, @tgl. The most important point you made was what appeared to me a slight asymmetry will make a big difference. I always thought that wall/ceiling-mounted SMB APs are directional--forward firing, which makes sense. This makes desktop use less effective.

Cisco publishes radiation patterns for their APs.

I have spent a lot of time looking at Omada, Ubiquiti, Zyxel, and other solutions. I am very tempted by them because of the management tools and extensibility. At the same time, I do not have the desire to run cables in the ceiling or up the wall and 1st floor is even more complicated. After studying the radiating patterns more, mounting them at desk level, even if vertically, is not ideal. SMB might not be in the cards for me at this time.

Most SMB APs in lower price range are very slightly directional and can be used as tabletop, wall mount or ceiling mount applications. I know a person with 2x UniFi U6 APs placed on a side table next to the sofa in the living room downstairs and under the TV in a media console upstairs. Both work well and provide adequate coverage.

I used VLANs in dumb AP mode for a guest network last month. Worked a treat since the Asus guest WiFi didn’t work as one would expect with the whole intranet thing.

WAX206 has been my favorite OpenWrt AP. Sadly, in a drawer for now.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!