What's new

Tell what you think of these components

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mahler81280

New Around Here
I'm new to building a home NAS. The current Zyxel NSA 320 that I have isn't really cutting the mustard. Therefore, I'm thinking about building my own NAS for 600 GB of pictures, movies and music of which I would like to stream to multiple laptops and tvs at the same time should the need be. What do you think of these components?

ASRock H77M-ITX LGA 1155, SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
$99.99

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core
$119.99

IN WIN BP655.200BL Black Steel Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 200W Power Supply
$44.99

Pareema 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
$31.89

I already have two Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

Grand Total: $296.86

An i3 will provide enough throughput to saturate a Gigabit connection for large file transfers.

I'm looking for a case (mini-ITX or mATX) that has USB3 on the front. And ideally too, an SD card slot.

You could think of it that way. But I doubt you want to put a 10 GbE NIC on your build. Dual Gigabit ports only help if you are supporting multiple clients since aggregated ports don't help for a single client.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!