What's new

NAS and HTPC Combo

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wfarid

Occasional Visitor
My plan is to have a single box that can reliably store (Raid 5 probably) my data and also play content onto my TV. Something that is easily upgradable and future proof.

The case I chose was Lian Li PC-Q08 A . It was the only SFF that had 6 internal 3.5" drives and one external 5.25" drive. I know 5.25" drives are going out of fashion, but I wanted it to have the kitchen sink and be able to play DVD-discs and blu-ray without too much fuss.

I want this to be able to play any hi-def content, uncompressed lossless 1080p content. The main player will be XBMC. I also want it to store files without to many issues. I will be using a software raid.

One of the main questions is what environment should I use? Linux (mix of FreeNas with XBMC running? or just Ubuntu? ), Windows Home Server 2008? Just plain old Windows 7, or the new and shiny Windows 8?

I want my wife -- who has a mac -- to be able to access the file server end via SMB or whatever protocol, do time machine backups, etc.

How does this build sound below:

Lian Li PCQ08a (recently purchased)

ASUS P8H77-I LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

MSI R6570-MD1G/LP Radeon HD 6570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card not to sure about this one, any recommendations? is it even needed?

SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX

Silverstone Model PP05 Short Cable Set For Silverstone Strider Series Modular PSU

Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (4 QUANTITY, recently bought - black friday)

Blu-ray player / DVD burner (already own)

Does anyone have the PC-Q08 or similar chassis (Lian Li PC-Q25 for example), what is your experience with them? Is the G.Skill ram too high to fit in this cramped case? Any recommendations from others who have gone the server - htpc route?