What's new

Telnet 'default' password 4G-N16

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aptxope

New Around Here
Hi there,

Just bought a 4G router from Asus, the 4G-N16. I want to access this router by Telnet.

I enabled the Telnet function, and on networklevel I am able to connect. However, I dont know the login credentials. It is not admin/admin, nor it is not my personal credentials I use for the weblogin. When I try to make a new Telnet user, I need to confirm with the 'previous' password. But thats exactly the password I dont have.. The default password 'admin' is too short as a minimum of 8 characters is needed.

Does anyone have experience with this? As of now, Im not able to fillin the correct credentials and use Telnet. Used both Putty, CMD and MobaXterm.

1.PNG

2.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG

What happens if you use the default port 23 (or 2323) ?

What happens if you use the default port 23 (or 2323) ?
Port 23 is not allowed because it is 'insecure'. I will try 2323 later tonight.

I reset the router to default already, but didnt make a difference. Because before I can enable telnet, i need to create a new user right after logging in. Admin will be disabled by this.

Maybe I can circumvent this by naming the new user admin. Will get back on that later.

Port 23 is not allowed because it is 'insecure'. I will try 2323 later tonight.

I reset the router to default already, but didnt make a difference. Because before I can enable telnet, i need to create a new user right after logging in. Admin will be disabled by this.

Maybe I can circumvent this by naming the new user admin. Will get back on that later.
Ok, so tried a few things. However, I cannot alter the portsettings either, because also for this I need the 'current password'.
New user has to be more than 6 characters, so unfortunately resetting and trying 'admin' was not an option.

I dont know what to do anymore, does Asus even allow to Telnet for a 'regular' user, or is it for maintenance purpose only? No, right?!