What's new

Solved tethering and vpn install issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kudzupatch

New Around Here
I promise I have spent hours trying to find an answer to this and I have found ZERO info.

Galaxy S9 phone tethered to an ASUS AC2900 router. Tethering works as expected.

Signed up for NordVPN and wanted to set it up on my router with the built in OpenVPN.

When I follow the Nord instructions I get a message on the router that I need to enable port forwarding. It is telling me my WAN IP address of your router is found to be a private / virtual IP address. This link is the help file.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1033906/

This is new to me but from what I am gathering is that it is saying that I need to set up port forwarding on the router I am downstrem of? Does is see the phone as a router? I am a loss and can not find anyone else that has run into this.

... I get a message on the router that I need to enable port forwarding. It is telling me my WAN IP address of your router is found to be a private / virtual IP address. This link is the help file.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1033906/
These messages only appear when you are setting up a VPN server. What you want to do is set up a VPN client (for NordVPN). VPN clients don't need public IP addresses or port forwarding. However, I don't know whether the router allows you to setup a VPN client when using a tethered internet connection.

We are moving to an area with nothing but cellular interne. I can install the software on my devices no problem. But I want it on the router so we can stream on a ROKU device. No way to install software on it. The Roku device was the main reason for the VPN.

Then I am not following. How do you do that?

Untitled.png

Thanks.
Obvious but this is still new to me.
Solves that problem but it will not connect now. But that is another issue.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!