What's new

Thank you! Modern Warfare QoS Optimization?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Coolie

New Around Here
Good evening all,

Quick back story, I am located in NYC and I have Spectrum Ultra plan which is 400mbps/20mbps, before covid I had no issues playing MW Multiplayer. Ever since quarantine and everyone being home I started getting really bad packet loss and bad lag with rubber banding. I know cable is not the best for playing online games, but seeing as how the issue only started happening after lockdown. I started trouble shooting to see if I could find a solution, I did a direct connection from modem to pc, seemed to fix the issue. It seemed like the issue was the router given to me from spectrum. I purchased the Linksys ea1750, but returned quickly coz of constant dropped wifi connection and not full speeds. So on a whim I picked up the Asus RT-AC68U seemed to help a lot, but was still getting a lot of lag and packet loss. Then I found out about adaptive Qos, this helped a lot. Then 1 thing lead to another and I found about this forum and Custom Merlin Firmware. I am now using FlexQos, This seemed to be the biggest help so far.

With all that being said, I wanna say Thank you to all the people out there doing all this great work! Greatly Appreciated. /bow

To my final question. It seems that I am just at the start of Optimizing the QoS for better efficiency. Just wanna know if u guys have any tips or tricks to help optimize my network?
Currently the only hardwired connection to the router is from my PC and everything else is connected thru Wifi. Maybe 7-9 Connections. Not all at one time.
In Qos I have the categories set as Gaming>Web Surfing>Video and Audio Streaming>Others> Work-from-home>File Transferring>Learn-From-Home.
Any tips or tricks to help with gaming from my PC would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Keep an eye on Untracked connections from your PC IP to see if they can be reclassified as Gaming by a custom iptables rule.

Keep an eye on Untracked connections from your PC IP to see if they can be reclassified as Gaming by a custom iptables rule.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. From watching the untracked list and from gathering which ports and ip address the game uses. I think i was able to create a few rules and add them to gaming category. I'll report back when I test it out tmr at peak hours.

I'd be interested to know the rules you are using? Im also on cable broadband with virgin media with the AC68u and FlexQOS.
I have a couple of rules but have also put cod in AppDB too.

I'd be interested to know the rules you are using? Im also on cable broadband with virgin media with the AC68u and FlexQOS.
I have a couple of rules but have also put cod in AppDB too.

Hey, from watching resource monitor and untracked connections. I came up with the following rules, I am a noob at this, might be more optimal way of doing this. But this is what I came up with.

MW1.jpg

Quick Note, websites also use port 443, but from watching it in untracked connections so do cod. Prolly an overlap, but I don't mind having it in the gaming category.

don't forget to set your per packet overhead for your connection, bandwidth needs to be set to 95%.
also set up the priority as custom with gaming at the top.

The adaptive QoS is what I would classify as something that 'mostly work's. You have to set the 'other' category just as high as the gaming category as a lot of gaming traffic ends up in it. I've also noticed as developers start to use encryption sometimes gaming connections end up classified as SSL web traffic, despite it being from the game. For me that puts it at a really low level as web traffic is one of the last categories for me. It's a crapshoot.

Something I've found out that occasionally helps when that happens is using a VPN and then setting that VPN connection to a high priority, like gaming, which then gets all the traffic.

Hi,

just wanted to share a break though I just had. I was messing around with some settings while playing cod:mw and I changed the modulation scheme from up to MCS7 (802.11n) to up to MCS9 (TurboQAM/256-QAM) on the 2.4ghz band and bam almost all of the dropped packets I had before this setting are now gone. I will continue to test it at prime hours this week. Does anyone have an explanation as to why this worked?

Newer schemes are better. I haven't seen a network that needs to drop to older standards in a very long time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!