What's new

FlexQoS Thanks for your support!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave14305

Part of the Furniture
Thank you to all who have installed, enjoyed, and supported FlexQoS these last two years. I’ve been humbled by the enthusiasm and generosity of FlexQoS users, but I am “retiring” from FlexQoS development.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise, since updates have been sparse in recent months. My ASUS AC86U runs stock firmware as an AP, and as we’ve learned, it will be left behind on the 386 codebase. So I cannot join you on the 388 journey ahead.

It’s time to pass the baton that I picked up from @FreshJR. If anyone is interested in continuing FlexQoS development, please let me know. I didn’t really know much when I started out (and maybe I still don’t know much today).

There’s no reason to believe FlexQoS will stop working in the foreseeable future, but we already see challenges on the AX86U with iptables rules and fc. So please continue to enjoy the benefits of FreshJR_QOS/FlexQoS for as long as you can.

I don’t intend for this thread to be a “drama queen farewell”, but I don’t want there to be any ambiguity about the future of FlexQoS, like we’ve seen with other third-party developments.

-Dave

Thanks @dave14305, for all your time and hard work you put in to developing and maintaining FlexQoS!

I know you're not leaving, but I've always looked forward to your posts, as you've always seemed courteous and open to other people's ideas and new experiments etc.

Hope you've been enjoying using CakeQoS on your Raspberry Pi router! lol

With Asus leaving supported AC models on the older 386 codebase (seemingly wanting us to now buy their AX routers), I may actually follow your lead for my next router.
Though a WiFi7-86U could change my mind...

Thanks, again!

Thank you to all who have installed, enjoyed, and supported FlexQoS these last two years. I’ve been humbled by the enthusiasm and generosity of FlexQoS users, but I am “retiring” from FlexQoS development.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise, since updates have been sparse in recent months. My ASUS AC86U runs stock firmware as an AP, and as we’ve learned, it will be left behind on the 386 codebase. So I cannot join you on the 388 journey ahead.

It’s time to pass the baton that I picked up from @FreshJR. If anyone is interested in continuing FlexQoS development, please let me know. I didn’t really know much when I started out (and maybe I still don’t know much today).

There’s no reason to believe FlexQoS will stop working in the foreseeable future, but we already see challenges on the AX86U with iptables rules and fc. So please continue to enjoy the benefits of FreshJR_QOS/FlexQoS for as long as you can.

I don’t intend for this thread to be a “drama queen farewell”, but I don’t want there to be any ambiguity about the future of FlexQoS, like we’ve seen with other third-party developments.

-Dave
Thanks for your time and efforts with all this, @dave14305... Just curious... what kinds of problems have you been seeing in regards to iptables rules on the AX series?

I've always looked forward to your posts, as you've always seemed courteous and open to other people's ideas and new experiments etc.
"seemed" is the operative word. :)
Hope you've been enjoying using CakeQoS on your Raspberry Pi router!
I've settled on simplicity and I only run CAKE on my WAN interface for outbound traffic, and only with besteffort. For inbound traffic, I rely on just fq_codel (no shaping). So I've rejected all the classification gymnastics I've spent 2 years supporting.
I may actually follow your lead for my next router.
I've been running OpenWrt just fine, but I'm now learning how to create my own custom Raspberry Pi OS images so I can go with a regular Linux distro. I've done it before, but was too worried about being able to recover from a failed SD card. When I can create my own image with my config already embedded, that will be my new standard. Then I will look to replace the Pi 4B + USB dongle with a more robust x86 machine.

what kinds of problems have you been seeing in regards to iptables rules on the AX series?
I don't know what's really happening, but as I remember it, traffic that was subjected to iptables rules in the mangle table were no longer being picked up by the QoS tc filters, and therefore were bypassing the QoS bandwidth limits. With fc disabled, this did not happen.

@dave14305 was fun while it lasted, not running it anymore as I have the AX86U dramas. Thank you for the previous support you provided.

@dave14305 - thank you so much for all the time and effort you put into FlexQoS over the last two years!!!

I'll keep using it until it won't run anymore (with fc disabled) and then will watch closely what to do next...

Thank you Dave for your efforts over the last years, keeping it running and also extending it over time! :)
One question from my side: Will it be there for fresh installs in future, or will you shut down the repo sooner or later and should we save the script for future use?

Thank you @dave14305 for the awesome work you have done so far, thanks again.
As an Ac86 owner i express my frustration with the situation for AC routers, ok commercial policies but the AC router are still on sale .
I wanted to buy a gtx6000 but considering they can't solve the problem with FC at this point i look around.
I hope you will share your projects here on the forum or where we can follow you.
Thank you.

@dave14305 , Thanks for taking over and your continued support of FlexQOS, as I continue to use it to this day, and consider it a staple and stable tool of my network.

One question, as I am currently using V1.3.3 Dev, and for over 30+ days with no issues, will you consider putting that version into production as the final version?

Last edited:
@JohnSmith doesn't seem like there is a need to do so. If it works, just enjoy using it, as-is.

One question from my side: Will it be there for fresh installs in future, or will you shut down the repo sooner or later and should we save the script for future use?
It will remain as long as it continues to work or is replaced by someone else’s script. But it won’t be deleted.
One question, as I am currently using V1.3.3 Dev, and for over 30+ days with no issues, will you consider putting that version into production as the final version?
Probably not. It didn’t seem to help like I thought it would, so it probably needs to be revisited by the next adventurous QoS dork.

@L&LD absolutely enjoy using it as is.

The only issue is when you run "amtm", and check for updates for scripts, and the logic views "V1.3.3 Dev" as older than "V1.3.2", and shows that an update is available.

Just looking for closure on a great product! I will go back to "V1.3.2" if that stays as the final production release, as I have had success on both.

I missed the posts about problems between FlexQoS and AX86U... I was having some issues that I never had with my previous AC68U, but I never thought to look into your add-on. I just uninstalled it... :(

Anyway, thank you for your hard work and generosity!

[edited to fix typo]

Last edited:
Thanks Dave for all your contributions to this forum. You will be missed. Unless - of course - you continue to hang out here every now and then.
Appreciate you letting us know of your decision.

Unless - of course - you continue to hang out here every now and then.
I’ve made many virtual friends here (whether they like me or not), so I will keep an eye on this place from time to time. I appreciate your support by including FlexQoS in amtm and being the calm voice of reason in our third party circles!

And I will be waiting for your next photos of Utah or your next outdoor adventure!

Thanks for everything @dave14305.

Hope you still stop by and provide any input here in the SNB forums!!!

I will continue to use FlexQoS until it stops working!!!

Good luck with your next endeavor Dave. Our conversations have been few and sparse, but very productive. My home built Ubuntu RasPi Router worked out rather well. I kept it in production for a week before having to take off for family matters. Now that is concluded, I am looking at a MiniPC as a permanent Router and continue to use my AC86U as an AP (however, I think it's WAN port is dying).

Talk to you.

Good luck Dave and thanks for all your fine work, advice, knowledge and comradery!

BTW, I'm no longer in WNY. Recently moved to Northern CA. Really North! Redding

Gotta be near kids and grandkids. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.