What's new

The Moca adapter is not working , please help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ari1991

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone , I didn't know about Moca adapter until a couple days ago. I was and am currently using Powerline network adapter and that is working ok but I want to take it to the next level since I play competitive online games like BF5 so I bought the Actiontech Moca 2.0 ( ECB6200 ) . Spectrum Charter is my ISP and I am paying for 200mb download and 10mb upload speed ( I know the ECB6200 is a bit overkill ) . Anyway I received the adapters yesterday and here is my setup :
My ISP modem(ARRIS TM1602) is connected to the Coax cable directly to the wall and the router (Netgear R7500-100NAS) is connected to the modem via ethernet , I took off the modem and put the Coax splitter instead (the splitter came in the Moca adapter box). then from one end of the splitter to the modem and the other end to the Actiontech Moca adapter coax input . and then from Moca adapter to the router via ethernet . and then of course power cable.
Then in my room where I need wired connection to my PC : I connected the Moca adapter directly to Coax cable on the wall and plugged the power cable and an ethernet cable to my PC from the adapter .
The ethernet light on the Moca adapter is solid green , the power LED is also solid green but the Coax is turned off on both adapters and am not able to connect to internet . Please any idea why it's not working ?

did you bother to look at the setups others have used here when putting in moca adapters with coax based ISPs ?
For one thing, you need a moca block upstream of the splitter to prevent the signal from going out on the ISPs cable network.

Test the adapters with a 1+ meter RG6 coax. Make sure they sync.
What is the cable in the wall RG6 or RG59 ?
Have you had a digital cable tv box on the connection in that room before ?
Is that cable connected to anything ?

Most coax cable layouts in a house go back to a central distribution amplifier.

You need to find the location where all of your coax meets. Map everything out and make note of any spliiters and amps you find. Upload your drawing of that and then we may be able to help rather than playing a guessing game..

did you bother to look at the setups others have used here when putting in moca adapters with coax based ISPs ?
For one thing, you need a moca block upstream of the splitter to prevent the signal from going out on the ISPs cable network.

Test the adapters with a 1+ meter RG6 coax. Make sure they sync.
What is the cable in the wall RG6 or RG59 ?
Have you had a digital cable tv box on the connection in that room before ?
Is that cable connected to anything ?

Most coax cable layouts in a house go back to a central distribution amplifier.

You need to find the location where all of your coax meets. Map everything out and make note of any spliiters and amps you find. Upload your drawing of that and then we may be able to help rather than playing a guessing game..
Thank you very much for your reply and sorry I answered late.
I did connect the MOCAs together and they worked so I assume there is no problem with MOCAs.
I don't know what type of cable is inside the walls . How can I figure it out ?
I have never connected anything to the Coax in my room. We have 2 Coax in our house . 1 in the living room which is currently connected to Modem and the other one is in my room which nothing is connected to it.
Sorry I lack knowledge about Coax and wiring , when you say Moca block , you mean Moca filter ? If yes , no I don't have that , should I order one ? any specific model or anything I need to know ?
I also need to find where all the wires connect . I do my research and will update you.
Thank you again :)

@ari1991, to be clear, this “MoCA block” (aka MoCA filter, PoE filter) needs to be upstream of whatever splitter is connecting the coax runs going to your rooms, not just upstream of the splitter you added to connect the modem and MoCA adapter. The “PoE” MoCA filter would go on the input of the “central distribution amplifier” in @degrub’s later hypothetical.

Yes, you need a “PoE” MoCA filter correctly installed, not necessarily to establish your MoCA network but to secure it.

I have never connected anything to the Coax in my room. We have 2 Coax in our house . 1 in the living room which is currently connected to Modem and the other one is in my room which nothing is connected to it.
Simple enough to test... When you can spare Internet connectivity, just take the modem to “your room” and connect it to the wall outlet, and observe whether it’s able to sync with the provider.

I also need to find where all the wires connect . I do my research and will update you.
This is really step #1b in implementing MoCA, the first (1a) simply checking if coax outlets even exist in the targeted rooms.

If/when you find your central junction (fingers crossed), I’d recommend taking and posting pics of what you find, to expedite the assessment. The model numbers of parts matter, as does having a wide enough view to be able to track the connections between components.

Depending on your type of residence, the central junction could be in a bedroom closet, basement, an outside junction box, etc. ... or a central wiring cabinet for a building, inaccessible to you.

WIN_20190802_18_15_47_Pro.jpg
WIN_20190802_18_15_59_Pro.jpg
WIN_20190802_18_16_13_Pro.jpg
WIN_20190802_18_16_13_Pro.jpg
IMG_20190802_173058.jpg
IMG_20190802_173053.jpg
IMG_20190802_173058.jpg
IMG_20190802_173053.jpg
@ari1991, to be clear, this “MoCA block” (aka MoCA filter, PoE filter) needs to be upstream of whatever splitter is connecting the coax runs going to your rooms, not just upstream of the splitter you added to connect the modem and MoCA adapter. The “PoE” MoCA filter would go on the input of the “central distribution amplifier” in @degrub’s later hypothetical.

Yes, you need a “PoE” MoCA filter correctly installed, not necessarily to establish your MoCA network but to secure it.

Simple enough to test... When you can spare Internet connectivity, just take the modem to “your room” and connect it to the wall outlet, and observe whether it’s able to sync with the provider.

This is really step #1b in implementing MoCA, the first (1a) simply checking if coax outlets even exist in the targeted rooms.

If/when you find your central junction (fingers crossed), I’d recommend taking and posting pics of what you find, to expedite the assessment. The model numbers of parts matter, as does having a wide enough view to be able to track the connections between components.

Depending on your type of residence, the central junction could be in a bedroom closet, basement, an outside junction box, etc. ... or a central wiring cabinet for a building, inaccessible to you.

Thanks again for your reply
Ok so I found the central box , it was outside the house and here are the pictures.
So to my understanding the Moca adapter supports 5-1675MHz and my PoE Splitter is rated at 5-1002MHz
So I ordered the BAMF SB-2002 which is rated at 5-2300MHz to replace the PoE splitter and then I use another splitter (Starburst sb-2wms-2.0 which is rated at 5-1675MHz ) inside the house for my Modem and Moca adapter.
Now I want to order the Moca filter to install it right before the PoE splitter but can you please help me what Moca filter should I buy ?
Also in the meanwhile I'll try to move my modem to my room to see if its working
Update : I did move the modem to my room and it didn't work ! If you look at the pictures , there are 2 lose Coax wires , I am suspicious to those , probably I'll need to get a 4way splitter , I am going to get BAMF SB-2004 which is rated at 5-2300MHz and each port is 7db if that is ok ?

Last edited:
connect your moca splitter downstream of the antronix.

Technically, you cannot touch that splitter as it belongs to the cable company and is likely the point of demarcation between you and them. So get a 1 to 3 moca splitter and filter and install downstream of the isp splitter.

You want a 5 - 1675 moca splitter. The wider range is for satellite and should work. For moca, the 7db may not matter as the built in amps have a wide range. It may matter for your ISP connection however. Make sure the splitter is moca2 certified. I would use a lower loss splitter if possible. 2-4 dB is typical. Put the moca filter on the connection to the Isp splitter where that black cable plugs in. Then connect the upstream port of your splitter to the filter. Then attach all the house cables to the splitter. Makes sure the cable going to the ISP modem is on the lowest loss port on your splitter.

On the black cables in that outside box there should be a printed label or an embossed label on the cable black jacket. It will have RG59 or RG6 on it. Which is it ?

Last edited:
connect your moca splitter downstream of the antronix.

Technically, you cannot touch that splitter as it belongs to the cable company and is likely the point of demarcation between you and them.
Right, and that’s not a splitter ... the Antronix CLA-15 is strictly a ground block, one line in, one line out, and the green-coated wire connecting to ground.

8F6ED998-44F0-4068-BBE4-20DB5E4FABD3.jpeg

As @degrub said, the ground block should (must) remain as-is ... except you’ll need to reconnect the downstream ”OUT” port to link-in your new components:
  • a new MoCA-compatible splitter sized to your needs: a 2-way if only looking for connectivity for 2 rooms, or an unbalanced 3-way (eg) to get all 3 lines connected. If using a 3-way, the modem run should connect to the low-loss output port;
  • the “PoEMoCA filter, installed directly on the input of the new MoCA splitter for optimal performance, with the “OUT” port of the ground block connecting to the MoCA filter.
Recommended splitters “designed for MoCA” are the Holland GHS-PRO-M series (specs, eg), which are the only ones available via retail, it seems; though the Starburst and Verizon splitters are similarly spec’d.

As for the “PoE” MoCA filter, about any one would do. Tough not to go for this 5-pack.

Last edited:
p.s. Some plastic cut from a milk jug and duct tape might be a workable short-term fix until a tech can visit to replace that busted junction box...

07CC817C-B118-4D7F-96D3-6AFC4C859667.jpeg

You want a 5 - 1675 moca splitter.
p.s. If/when a more complex setup requires wringing every excessive dB out of the coax connections, the frequency range isn’t all that matters, and can even be detrimental if fixated only on the printed range. (SWM splitters designed for DirecTV whole home setups are poor splitters for OTA/cable MoCA setups.)

The Holland, Verizon and Starbust splitters for MoCA 2.0 are spec’d for the full MoCA 2.0 range, but have (supposedly) also been designed to have lower output port-to-port isolation, beneficial when the MoCA signal requires port jumping. This aspect isn’t as relevant for the OP’s new splitter, since the “PoE” MoCA filter will be installed on its input, precluding port jumping for this splitter.

Thank you all again , That did help alot !
So here is a graph of what I understood. ( Sorry for my terrible drawing :) )
I finally placed my order and should receive them in less than a week . Here is what I ordered :
BAMF 2 way model SB-2002 for inside the house use , between modem and Moca adapter ( Just to make sure , can I use another splitter inside the house ? )
Starburst SB-SWMS-2.0 3way splitter which is rated at 5-1675MHz for the junction box
Holland MPOE-TM Moca filter
Also I tried to read the cables but unfortunately I could not find any RG59 or RG6 but I found CATV 18AWG if that's helpful ?
Untitled.png

Last edited:
So here is a graph of what I understood. ...
View attachment 18882

I finally placed my order and should receive them in less than a week . Here is what I ordered :
BAMF 2 way model SB-2002 for inside the house use , between modem and Moca adapter ( Just to make sure , can I use another splitter inside the house ? )
Starburst SB-SWMS-2.0 3way splitter which is rated at 5-1675MHz for the junction box
Holland MPOE-TM Moca filter
Also I tried to read the cables but unfortunately I could not find any RG59 or RG6 but I found CATV 18AWG if that's helpful ?
Connections in junction box diagram are correct.

As for splitters, what you ordered (BAMF) may work, but I'll just repost...
Recommended splitters “designed for MoCA” are the Holland GHS-PRO-M series (specs, eg), which are the only ones available via retail, it seems; though the Starburst and Verizon splitters are similarly spec’d.
p.s. If/when a more complex setup requires wringing every excessive dB out of the coax connections, the frequency range isn’t all that matters, and can even be detrimental if fixated only on the printed range. (SWM splitters designed for DirecTV whole home setups are poor splitters for OTA/cable MoCA setups.)

The Holland, Verizon and Starbust splitters for MoCA 2.0 are spec’d for the full MoCA 2.0 range, but have (supposedly) also been designed to have lower output port-to-port isolation, beneficial when the MoCA signal requires port jumping. This aspect isn’t as relevant for the OP’s new splitter, since the “PoE” MoCA filter will be installed on its input, precluding port jumping for this splitter.

I will return the BAMF ( if necessary ) and will get the Starburst since this is the splitter that came inside the box with MOCA adapters.
Now I have to wait until I receive the parts and I'll keep you all informed :)

I will return the BAMF ( if necessary ) and will get the Starburst since this is the splitter that came inside the box with MOCA adapters.
If you find a source for the Starburst splitters, do please post the info here.

WIN_20190806_13_47_33_Pro.jpg
WIN_20190806_13_47_41_Pro.jpg
Ok I received the parts and now it's working thanks to yall :)
Now I have 2 questions :
1- Which output is better -3.5db or 3.5db ? Which one should I connect the modem to ?
2- Now I definitely see improvement in internet speed compare to powerline network adapter but still not as expected !
I am paying for 200mb download speed and 10mb upload . With powerline adapter I was getting 90-120mbps , now I get 120-167mbps with moca adapters. I believe I should get full 200mbps considering Actiontech ecb6200 is able to transfer gbps speed , right ?

1- Which output is better -3.5db or 3.5db ? Which one should I connect the modem to ?
Either; it’s a typo: both ports have 3.5 dB loss (-3.5 dB). 3.5 dB (i.e. +3.5 dB) would be an amplification of the signal, quite a feat for a passive device.

2- Now I definitely see improvement in internet speed compare to powerline network adapter but still not as expected !
I am paying for 200mb download speed and 10mb upload . With powerline adapter I was getting 90-120mbps , now I get 120-167mbps with moca adapters. I believe I should get full 200mbps considering Actiontech ecb6200 is able to transfer gbps speed , right ?
What do the adapters report regarding MoCA statistics?

How are you testing the speed? What result do you see when Ethernet-wired directly to the router?

With only 2 MoCA nodes present on the coax, a pair of bonded Moca 2.0 nodes could connect in TURBO mode and reach up to 1 GBPs throughput.

Either; it’s a typo: both ports have 3.5 dB loss (-3.5 dB). 3.5 dB (i.e. +3.5 dB) would be an amplification of the signal, quite a feat for a passive device.

What do the adapters report regarding MoCA statistics?

How are you testing the speed? What result do you see when Ethernet-wired directly to the router?

With only 2 MoCA nodes present on the coax, a pair of bonded Moca 2.0 nodes could connect in TURBO mode and reach up to 1 GBPs throughput.
- I don't know what you mean by what the adapters report ? Do they show any info ? If so how can I access it ?
- I use www.speedtest.net . When I connect directly to modem I get 200mbps , when I connect to router I get around 190MBps . I have 2 Moca adapters so they should have Gigabyte speeds ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!