What's new

The most stable Asuswrt-Merlin router with OpenVPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

swealpha

Occasional Visitor
Hello!

What do you guys think is the most stable Asuswrt-Merlin router for OpenVPN?

I am going to use it with OpenVPN 24/7.
Connection Speed 50/50Mbit
Only Wired, never wireless.

Thank you!! ;)

Hello!

Thank you!! ;)
Based on your connection stats from your isp being 50/50 If you want anywhere near that rate through the tunnel you will need an RT-AC86U or if you have more money a RT-AX88U. Both do really well with OVPN. The AX88U is a beast but expensive. The AC86U is likely a better bargain.

Hello!

Thank you!! ;)

If it is worthwhile to you to save $10 - $20 you could go with an AC1900P which is an AC68 with 1400 Mhz processor and can do in the neighborhood of 50 Mbps using OpenVPN. The AC 86U is far faster on OpenVPN and I get 170 Mbps steadily and others on this site have posted speed tests of over 200 Mbps. If you have the extra money go for the AC86U.

I don't think you will regret you decision. Been using my 86U since November. Up time at present is 32 days. Can't really comment about VPN speeds since I'm stuck with Satellite internet service and I average around 20 to 25mbps download. But I'm am ready for the future. Fiber optic service should be in my area sometime in 2020. Looking forward to decent internet service.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!