What's new

The pros and cons of sharing a portion of your NAS with strangers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jamr

New Around Here
I am interested in finding out the pitfalls and pluses of sharing a portion of your server with strangers and in return, getting free offsite storage for your encrypted files.
Are there any security risks? I am sure there are but is it remote of is the security on todays NAS's pretty good?
Any other things you can think of?
Thanks.

I am interested in finding out the pitfalls and pluses of sharing a portion of your server with strangers and in return, getting free offsite storage for your encrypted files.
Are there any security risks? I am sure there are but is it remote of is the security on todays NAS's pretty good?
Any other things you can think of?
Thanks.

Yes.

No.

Having a life outside of IT security management.

I would never offer to store someone else's files on my NAS. Call me paranoid, but too many sketchy people out there. Certainly not for what you want in return. There are MANY FREE cloud storage sites. Google, Microsoft, mega, etc. Personally, I decided a couple years back to upgrade (ie pay) for Google, but also use Microsoft (free) as an extra copy for critical stuff.

In order to access your NAS, you have to also give access to at least a portion of your network. Lots of security risks and setup. Nobody can decide for you though, it is of course up to you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!