What's new

The Uptime Contest

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Work is actually killing me at the moment. I'm averaging 300 support tickets a week over the last 3 weeks...

No doubt this is really showing the companies that had there infrastructure ready to support remote work and those that didn't. Also people with weak internet connections at home, VPN performance etc. I'm finding as a 3rd party vendor I'm doing some of the work of their local IT as they are just swamped and unprepared.

I don’t know what your “day gig” is, but if it has anything to do with keeping data moving on the internet or healthcare, THANK YOU!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My uptime is generally however long it's been since the last Merlin release. I have another wired router with custom firmware that has an uptime of 537 days at the moment. The only reason it's not longer is that we had a power outage that lasted longer than the UPS could handle and I wasn't home to fire up the generator in time.

tGFb21f.png

My Cisco small business system at my home is never rebooted except for a power outage or firmware upgrades. This is from the last major power outage.

I am getting ready to upgrade my firmware today or tomorrow so it will reset back to zero.

In a proper setup - @coxhaus makes a good point - set it up, leave it alone, and the only time a box should need to be rebooted is for security updates.

I heard about a bug, but never verified it. When your router runs to 999 days, it will not have the 1,000 day, it just becomes the 0 day.

Okay, that's just a joke.
in a previous job - we had a cisco load balancer that we would have to schedule a reboot every 364 days, otherwise it would stop working when hitting midnight on the end of the year.

I have another wired router with custom firmware that has an uptime of 537 days at the moment.

I'm pretty sure your problem is finding where this tiny mobile router is. Did you look under the bed? :)

I work for a company that develops and sells remote access software, so demand on our resources has gone through the roof with the pandemic. We're helping a lot of people and businesses keep going when they wouldn't be able to otherwise, but it is certainly a challenge supporting them all!

I spent the last two weeks helping employees of my customers get setup for remote work through various means (in some cases the infrastructure was already in place, in a few cases I had to remotely setup and deploy a VPN or FTP solution). At least two of these customers explicitely emailed me their thanks for helping them stay in operation through the current shutdown.

Work only started to slow down for me this last Friday, and I expect it will eventually drop to an almost dead level - our government just announced they were extending the business shutdown until early May. Thankfully I don't have any employee or office rent to take care of, so I'll be able to weather the storm. More worrying will be how many of my customers will be gone by the time this crisis is over.

I spent the last two weeks helping employees of my customers get setup for remote work through various means (in some cases the infrastructure was already in place, in a few cases I had to remotely setup and deploy a VPN or FTP solution). At least two of these customers explicitely emailed me their thanks for helping them stay in operation through the current shutdown.

Work only started to slow down for me this last Friday, and I expect it will eventually drop to an almost dead level - our government just announced they were extending the business shutdown until early May. Thankfully I don't have any employee or office rent to take care of, so I'll be able to weather the storm. More worrying will be how many of my customers will be gone by the time this crisis is over.

I’m disinclined to believe or trust what the Quebec govt says, given they’ve been preaching “we’re well prepared, have this under control” when you’ve the greatest number of cases in Canada. I’m starting to think we’ll be lucky to be clear by Fête National or Canada Day, even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m disinclined to believe or trust what the Quebec govt says, given they’ve been preaching “we’re well prepared, have this under control” when you’ve the greatest number of cases in Canada.

Cases are often found through testing. We have among the highest test rates as well, which is would be why our number of confirmed cases are so high. Notice how we started getting larger numbers the day they changed the test procedure about a week ago.

The most important metric IMHO is the number of hospitalized cases, because these tend to show a more realistic evaluation as to how much of your population is currently infected, with very little relation to the amount of testing you've done.

It's considered currently under control because our hospitals aren't overloaded yet, which is one of the primary goals here. Out of control is more akin to what has happened in Italy until last week, where the health system had to let some people die simply due to lack of equipment and beds.

There is a difference between "everything is fine" and "it's under control". You can have a house of fire but the firemen will call it "under control" because they are able to ensure the fire doesn't spread to other houses around.

Just a quick update - necro'ing a thread here...

Last reboot was a delivery form the PFSense folks...

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 5.11.32 PM.png

With the Covid - moving from the office to remote - I took the option of zero-trust for services - we didn't deploy any VPN services for folks to phone in from home.

This was my n66u on John's fork. My new 86u is a different story altogether :rolleyes: .

rec uptime.PNG

I once had a FreeBSD web server that had a 421 day uptime before I had to shut it down to move to a new colo facility.

My current router best is below. 10 days and counting!

Attachments

• 7FE647FB-FE66-4DB5-9871-2600335B3299.png
    7FE647FB-FE66-4DB5-9871-2600335B3299.png
    301.7 KB · Views: 110
I remember uptimes for Netware-servers in years! Ok, that was a long time sgo, mostly before internet-connectivity, but nevertheless.
Nowadays I'm happy when a system doesn't need a reboot for six weeks.
Routers are among the systems that get to that time-span.
Netware 3.12!

Netware 3.12!

Yes, I still have a copy of Netware server somewhere on 3 1/2 inch disks. I have no idea if it is still good but it was an official red label network disk. I can't remember exactly how many disks any more. I would have to go dig it out.

Right now, I am hurting with power outages. The last week in August I was down 4 times with power outages. I called the power company and they came out. The verdict was too many people at home running everything in Texas in August. My voltage was hovering around 111 volts. I am at the end of the line and secondary. He was going to recommend a transformer be placed on my pole and made primary. We will see if it goes through.

A customer's SMTP server:

Code:
# uptime
15:14:40 up 1959 days,  7:00,  2 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.04, 0.01

I just noticed it because I logged on it to check the hardware specs, as they are setting up a replacement VPS For it.

Linux can be just as reliable as Netware :)

I originally built that mail server in 2007 based on the datestamps I saw on it. It probably moved hardware hosts a few times during those 13 years, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.