What's new

This isn't encouraging after reading ASUS AC68 router requirements

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

To use gigabit Ethernet, you should have Category 5E anyway. Category 5 was originally for 10/100 Ethernet. Category 5 (Enhanced) was developed to ensure gigabit wireless speeds. So, it's likely any site would recommend Cat5E.

That's not to say that quality Cat5 (non-E) won't do gigabit, but newer standards were developed to lessen the possibility of crosstalk and improve throughput.

Cat6 really isn't necessary --but let me say that if I was wiring my house for Ethernet wall plates and planned on keeping it for awhile, I'd probably go the Cat6 route. Otherwise, I'd use Cat5E or Cat5E+ from a reputable vendor (say, Monoprice or a local electrical supply warehouse); just don't cheap out.

And you don't need top-dollar equipment to test for this --the cable sheathing will tell you right away if you have CAT5e cabling. You just need a reputable vendor.

art01fig03.jpg

I was referring to the article that says most of the cables bought probably don't even meet Cat 5 standards even though sold as Cat5e/6 cables. I know I have Cat5e because I had them installed when my system was set up but now I am wondering if they are even what I think they are!

Powered router off and back on and then rebooted PC's and have an IP back. How often will I have to do that?

I have seen it mentioned many times to make sure you have a good Cat6/5e cables or you might not get connected to your router properly. Without top dollar equipment, you can't even test for this.... :eek::eek:

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/bjc-cat-network-cable-quality-interview

And in my quest to get this router set up correctly, I am now not getting IP's for my wired devices again....but wireless has been solid.

You get what you pay for. $5 cat6 cable is not the same as $50 cat6 cable.

AC68 router is not mentioned in the article. So what are you trying to say??

I was referring to the article that says most of the cables bought probably don't even meet Cat 5 standards even though sold as Cat5e/6 cables. I know I have Cat5e because I had them installed when my system was set up but now I am wondering if they are even what I think they are!

Powered router off and back on and then rebooted PC's and have an IP back. How often will I have to do that?

I blame your PC. NIC card, drivers, windows settings, cable that you use.

Youll have to test it with another PC/ Laptop to eliminated AC68 out of the equation as the source of the issue.

Start with Resetting router and re-flashing firmware.

Last edited:

You are being ripped off if you pay $50 for a cat6 lead. Name brand cat6 cable is about 30c AUD per metre, and that's wholesale low volume.
I am sure cable manufacturers could easy be playing with quality cat6 at below 10c a metre.

Last edited:
I have seen it mentioned many times to make sure you have a good Cat6/5e cables or you might not get connected to your router properly. Without top dollar equipment, you can't even test for this.... :eek::eek:

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/bjc-cat-network-cable-quality-interview

It always makes me laugh when I read about audiophiles trying to justify why they should spend large sums of money on their cables. They seem obsessed by it.

Most home setups aren't running cable lengths approaching 100 metres, in which case any reasonable quality cable will do. Very cheap cables tend to fail not because of the wiring but because of poorly made connectors.

At the end of the day Cat5e/6 cables are so cheap its always worth having a few spares lying around.

Last edited:
It always makes me laugh when I read about audiophiles trying to justify why they should spend large sums of money on their cables. They seem obsessed by it.

The Coat hangers vs Monster Cable blind test was awesome there.

Most home setups aren't running cable lengths approaching 100 metres, in which case any reasonable quality cable will do. Very cheap cables tend to fail not because of the wiring but because of poorly make connectors.

I've seen quite a few reports of cheap Cat5e cables that would flat out fail when being tested at their rated frequencies. Just like some of those cheap 500W PSUs that would blow up when asked to put out a load of 475-480W. Some manufacturers flat out lie or cheat on their rated specifications.

You shouldn't have to spend 50$ on an Ethernet cable, however spending 5$ would be far more safer than spending 99 cents at the local discount store.

Just have to point out the obvious flaw in the coat hangs vs. monster cable 'test'.

Monster cable is not and never was 'audiophile' quality in any sense of the word.

An audiophile can hear differences in almost any component in a true music system ($20K and up).

With speaker cable (or any other component), an audiophile doesn't choose the 'best' in an absolute sense. Rather, he/she chooses the aspects of the music that are most important to them.

Having said that, I can believe that a coat hanger would sound 'good', depending on the rest of the components. Solid wire speaker cable vs. stranded has always provided a much more focused sound stage to me.

And that is why I can agree to buy better Ethernet cables for our routers too - every link in the chain makes a difference.

AC68 router is not mentioned in the article. So what are you trying to say??

I blame your PC. NIC card, drivers, windows settings, cable that you use.

Youll have to test it with another PC/ Laptop to eliminated AC68 out of the equation as the source of the issue.

Start with Resetting router and re-flashing firmware.

It was mentioned several times in troubleshooting articles here to replace a cable with 5e or 6. It was just interesting article saying that you don't always get what you pay for.

Funny that everything worked just fine on a D-Link DIR-655 which I replaced to get the extra range from the AC68. I have tested with two different PC's and a laptop. I have reset the router (the 15 second reset) and flashed firmware backwards also to 3.0.0.4.374.42_2.

The guy interviewed for the article was just discussing his testing of cables, which showed many were not up to snuff. I'm pretty sure those weren't all .99 cables. My cables came from a respected local Electronics store, same place we get all our network cables for the hospital system I work for so I should hope they would be fine as well.

Anyway, I will keep downgrading firmware until I get one that is stable. If I don't find one, I will ask for a replacement router.

Here in Holland we have some shops that specifically mention if a brand is using fully copper wires or the so called CCA (Copper Clad Aluminium) cables (for the blue and brown wires), because we caused a shirtstorm :p
That being said, quality wires don't have to be expensive. You just need to do your homework, or ask the store for the spec. sheet of the stuff they're selling (assuming they don't know jack).

Last edited:
:):) Very good. I was also thinking of the kind of idiot that buys this sort of thing! http://www.russandrews.com/product....&customer_id=PAA2503080714364BPEXUJXXIMTVKDRW £19,646 for a speaker cable! WTF

Or there's the old "mains cable makes you audio sound better" scam. A bargain at only £4,882 for a 2m cable. http://www.russandrews.com/product....&customer_id=PAA2503080714364BPEXUJXXIMTVKDRW

Not endorsing your linked 'scams', but it is easy to see that you have not delved into quality audio (maybe ever).

To be clear; I am not an audiophile (too old), but a long time customer turned friend has enlightened me a little as to what reproduced music should be. At least his version of music.

We shouldn't mock what we don't understand.

Just have to point out the obvious flaw in the coat hangs vs. monster cable 'test'.

Monster cable is not and never was 'audiophile' quality in any sense of the word.

It's a good example that a lot of those products that charge you a premium gives you zero benefit. Like those Monster Cable HDMI cables that claim to provide a clearer signal, even tho that data is actually digital.

An audiophile can hear differences in almost any component in a true music system ($20K and up).

We're talking wiring here. Sure, an audiophile will see a difference between speaker designs, amp designs, etc... Myself, without being an audiophile, I'm very picky about audio. But copper being copper, unless you have a very bad product (oxide on the connectors, for example), transmitting a clean 20 Khz signal isn't hard when we are able to transfer over 400 MHz over twisted pairs these days.

RMerlin, with respect, I have heard the effects of a simple speaker 'wire' change.

The noise floor was down at least 10Db, easily observable, even by my older ears and the room the musicians were playing in was eerily 'real' and changed with the recording being played back.

Good sound is not simply a sum of objective specifications. Other aspects can and do come into play. Just like two otherwise similarly spec'd routers can be observed to perform very differently, for example.

I have also heard digital cables have different sonic signatures (between dac and amp) - I did not imagine these differences.

What I appreciated most from my customer that allowed me to experience this first hand is that he would not make a snap decision if one component or the other was better. Only after a few weeks of listening would he make a purchase choice or not.

His words (paraphrasing) after almost two months with a new component, 'while the added detail was exciting, it was also aurally tiring over an extended listening session - and, real (acoustic) music doesn't tire you like this does'.

He was also quick to mention that on a different system, the added detail may lift the music up more naturally without the added harshness he experienced on his own setup.

It is always up to the buyer to beware. If something doesn't work better than what you have, that is what no questions asked return policies are for. ;)

I know it may sound like voodoo to most people, saying that cables and digital wires affect sound, but this customer is not interested in simply having better equipment for its own sake; he is focused on matching as closely as possible the sound of the small, non amplified groups and solo artists that he enjoys listening to live, in his own home.

Not endorsing your linked 'scams', but it is easy to see that you have not delved into quality audio (maybe ever).
Actually, I have, starting back in the 1970's!
We shouldn't mock what we don't understand.
Actually, I do understand. Not only have I passed exams in this stuff, I've even built bespoke audio amplifiers on occasion.

Of course good quality components can make a difference (compared to cheap), particularly with analogue audio, but some of these company's claims (and prices) are just downright ridiculous.

I have also heard digital cables have different sonic signatures (between dac and amp) - I did not imagine these differences.

The connection between a DAC and amp would be analog, not digital.
If the DAC was outputting a digital signal it would not be a very good Digital to Analog Convertor.
A pure amplifier can not do anything with a digital signal, it would require a built in DAC but then we start calling them receivers not amplifiers to better describe it's abilities.

Digital audio signals can suffer from problems like corruption or jitter, but these problems typically are very noticeable. If your digital signal is suffering a problem you are typically left with something that is unusable.

I believe most perceived differences in these cables, especially digital cables, is placebo. The placebo is enforced by their brain to justify their purchase and rationalize the price tag.

Last edited:
Advertising/marketing/merchandising folks certainly have excelled at their art in the past couple of decades...

You are being ripped off if you pay $50 for a cat6 lead. Name brand cat6 cable is about 30c AUD per metre, and that's wholesale low volume.
I am sure cable manufacturers could easy be playing with quality cat6 at below 10c a metre.

I wouldnt pay $50 if i was a millionaire. $50 was used as example to show a large gap in cable prices to get my point across.

Most home setups aren't running cable lengths approaching 100 metres, in which case any reasonable quality cable will do. Very cheap cables tend to fail not because of the wiring but because of poorly made connectors.

At the end of the day Cat5e/6 cables are so cheap its always worth having a few spares lying around.

A good friend of mine is an audiophile, who builds his own tube amps from scratch. And i have personally seen, heard with my ears, how a quality cable makes a difference. Unlike Monster Cables, that charges you 200% mark up just for their name.

Paying $1,000 per foot is just stupid, but there are very good under $100 per meter cables, name brand most of us will never hear about since they arent sold at retail stores or big online stores like Amazon.

If you ever done R/C racing, then youll know that power cables made out of silver make a huge difference vs plain copper wiring. Silver based power cables arent cheap, but with R/C you use very little of it. Even battery bridges or connectors that are silver plated are more efficient then plain copper or gold plated connectors. Its a night and day difference when it comes to getting the most time out of a battery, since you dont lose alot of the batteries stored energy in cabling do to low resistance in silver.

p.s.

For those of you that dont know, electric current travels on the surface of the cable. So if you have a 10awg single strand wire, the electricity travels on the surface. Thus if a 10awg copper cable is silver plated, electricity will travel only on the silver surface and not on both materials. The larger the surface area, the less resistance.

Last edited: