What's new

Switch/router/ISp help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Belin

Occasional Visitor
Hi im new to the forums but i have been reading snb for a couple years.
Recently I was roped into setting up a large home network for my Fathers new house. So far i have run over 3500 ft. of Cat 6 as well as over 1500 ft. of coax. He has a 3 floor 6600 sq ft new construction.

So far i have run the cables and done most of the termination. I have a server rack in the main equipment closet with a 48 port punch down termination block for all the Cat 6 and phone lines (also cat 6) everything is wired for standard A to make phone and data lines interchangable.
He is also having a system called "Control 4" installed this allows him to turn lights on and off, open garage, close automatic window shades as well as multimedia through wireless touch panels.

He is also getting Fios internet/tv/phone service.
The Control 4 company requested I get a VPN router and they want a seperate switch for their equipment.
Fios requires I use their router for Video on demand and some other functions
I did manage to run Extra Data ports for redundancy and to allow for APs

My question is:
What router would be best for my situation (and how can i connect it to the Fios anictec without double nat)
What Switches would be best I need at least around 30+ ports
Im intrested in having wireless throughout the house ( need APs)

Gigabit Netowrk/Wireless N prefered
VPN with SSL prefered since its easier to use
Dont necessarily need managed switches as no one in the house will be soaking up bandwith (parents are 60+ with Grandparents) LOL
Money is a consideration but i would be willing to pay extra for better quality/warrenty

I have read almost all the articles relating to a new constuction setup and have tried my best to lay it out well.

I am a Dentist who dabbles in networking so go easy on me please :)

Check at DSL reports.....they have "how to" guides on setting up your own router behind the Actiontec unit that you probably have. If I recall, there's a mode on that similar to the 2Wire unit that I have with AT&T U-Verse. There's whats called a "DMZ Plus" mode...where I tell the 2Wire to pass the public IP address to the device that I specify (my own linux router). I believe the Actiontec has a similar feature. This gets rid of your double NAT'ing issue.

As for which VPN router to get...hmmm..my first question would be...."who/what needs to connect from the other side of the internet?" Because I'd want something compatible with what they have....

Thanks for your reply... I will look into the DMZ thing.
As far as VPN ill have to ask the company that is doing the Control 4 what they use.

I just looked into the posts at Dsl reports.... Seems to be a major issue with Verizon fios to use your own hardware unless you have internet only service.
Almost every work around they have listed seems to be a major pain to implement and half the time normal tv functions like VoD dont work. Seems like you cant use your own router/dhcp server without a major hastle or double NAT

So the time is drawing near for me to purchase hardware for this project..... so far with a little more research I am currently looking at getting a Netgear GS724T 24-port smart switch and a Netgear FVS336G ssl vpn router..
The reason for these being the lifetime warranty and the fact that my father requested the ability to connect his home network to his work network through a vpn tunnel.... most likely i will purchase 2 of the FVS336G to accomplish this. While i could most likely accomplish what i need to with a unmanaged switch and consumer grade equipment i would prefer to go with gear that is more reliable/can handle business like use, have have noticed with most consumer grade products they tend to overheat and or require power cycling to keep them running. I was just wondering if people had other recommendations /solutions that would be more reliable or are these 2 products pretty decent.

on a side note if i got a 3rd FVS336G would i be able to set up 2 vpn tunnels to the office or can they only work 1-1.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!