What's new

Thoughts on the Netgear C7500 Modem/Router Combo + Synology RT2600AC?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Poseidon

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C7500.aspx

Any insight on this modem/router combo? Couldn't find anything here via the search function. Reviews on BB seem pretty good.

Are modem/router combo units still frowned upon in 2018 or is the Netgear C7500 a solid choice?

Currently my setup is a Netgear CM600 modem + Synology RT2600AC router (which recently replaced the Asus 1900P).

Is this BETTER than the Netgear C7500 all-in-one???

BTW my internet service is 400down/20 up.

Thanks.

I wouldn't expect the C7500 to be any better than what you have. What's wrong with your current gear?

Last edited:
Nothing - just thinking of saving some shelf space with a modem/router combo unit. However I just found out that you can't manually update the firmware - since that's pushed from your ISP.

Not sure how big of a deal that is, especially it being a Netgear product.

I wish there were more reviews on this unit - but all I could find was Best Buy and the reviews were great from verified purchasers.

Your are literally trying to go backwards in terms of updates, functionality, and performance.

There is no modem/router combination that could beat your setup in all these respects (for almost all modem/routers not ONE of these aspects) - not even a DOCSIS 3.1, non-Intel PUMA modem/router with 4x4 dual band WiFi radios.

You are just going backwards and with WPA3 major updates just around the corner.

You could use an Ethernet cable to split up the locations of the devices. That may even improve your wireless performance by having your router somewhere more central.

Last edited:
The Synology router's firmware is, by all reputation, excellent.

Netgear firmware managed by your ISP would have a default expectation of "hot garbage".

There's also the question of if your ISP even supports the C7500. they might not. That may not be a big deal for a dumb cable modem, but not a good idea for a router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!