What's new

Three XT8 nodes stopped connecting to XT8 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Seeker

New Around Here
I have three XT8 devices (AX-6600s). One is connected to my Google Fiber 1Gb network box and serves as the base router. The other two have been connected (until recently) as nodes in an AIMesh wireless network. Recently, the nodes went offline and will no longer connect to the AT8 base router. I have tried to reset the node, did the factory reset papercip thing, got a steady blue light, but when I try to add that node back into the Mesh, it is not found. Can't figure out how to make the nodes reconnect. Anyone have realistic steps I can take to get reconnected or do I take a fireman's ax to the XT8 sytem and replace with something else?

Thanks.

Hi Seeker,

I just went through the same thing and took me a bit to figure it out. You may need to reset the whole system. I was running 10.x.x.x and when I tried to just resetting the node, it would not connect the address is reset to 192.168.50.x by default. Once I reset the router (not node), I had to connect it direct via Ethernet for setup. No problems since. New firmware adds a dedicated 4unni backhaul which improves bandwidth. Hope this helps.

Hey, JP -- thanks for the info.

So if I understand you correctly, the thing to do is to collect all three devices in one place, disconnect the router XT8 from the network box, then do the pinhole reset on all three. I guess that is supposed to return all three to factory default state?

Then I start all over with the set up, connecting the router to the network box and setting up the wifi network, then turn on the nodes and let them connect to the router, then move each back to its normal location.

Did I miss something?

Correct. Reset all three and setup from scratch. You could try to save setting and load them back in, but I would start from scratch. Let us know if this fixes your issue. Good luck.

I'm not sure you need to reset the main unit. What might be the problem: how far away are the other nodes? They might not auto-sync with the main if too far. IME it's fine if they're in the same room, say 10ft or so from the main, when you reset them. Possibly also a good idea to disconnect any network cables they have until you finish reconfiguring them.

I'm not sure you need to reset the main unit. What might be the problem: how far away are the other nodes? They might not auto-sync with the main if too far. IME it's fine if they're in the same room, say 10ft or so from the main, when you reset them. Possibly also a good idea to disconnect any network cables they have until you finish reconfiguring them.
I thought so too, and fiddled with them over an hour, multiple hard resets on the nodes only and the nodes would never show up for configuration. Once I hard reset all of them, to include the router/node they came up no problem.

Well, I did as planned. Followed the outline above and it appears the end result was successful. There were a couple of complications along the way: I cannot get the install program to run on my Windows 11 computer (Chrome browser). Finally, after doing full factory reset on all three units, the ASUS app on my phone failed to recognize any configured units and started over from scratch. I started off with only the router unit turned on, but the app wanted to set a mesh node as well, so I had to go back, turn on the nodes, and start over creating the network. Then everything just chugged and chugged for about 15-20 minutes. Finally, I got the mesh network set up, then had to add the additional node to the mesh. That took another 5-6 minutes. In the end, I finally got white "good to go" lights on all three units.

So, using Meteor on my Z Flip4, sitting about 6 feet from the router unit, I just measured 553 Mbps down/ 279 Mbps up and 7 ms Ping time. In the farthest point of the upstairs from any unit, the measurement is 406 down/208 up, 17 ms ping. I can live with that throughput.

Thanks for the rapid turnaround and useful advice.

Cheers.

Great to hear. I’m usually a lurker on forums, but as assign I saw you post on the exact same model and issue, I figured I could save you some time and headache. I think right out the box with minimal configurations, the node reset would work, but changing private IPs for me left it in limbo after the hard reset.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!