What's new

Time for new router...dual band worth it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maleitch

New Around Here
I am suffering from a failing DLink DIR 655 router that constantly drops wireless and locks up with heavy downloading so I am done with this thing.

So I am purchasing a new router and don't mind spending money for something that I need to be reliable and would expect to perform better than what I am running above.

Seeing all the talk concerning the 802.11ac routers, but they all remind me of the "pre-N" standard days so I am not sure it is really worth the price premium. Have two tablet devices used mostly for Netflix streaming and I have a gaming rig that unfortunately have to use wirelessly which has actually worked pretty well so far when the router is not crashing.

Largest distance from device to router would be about 100' through one wall.

I would prefer not to have to buy matching wireless adapters to take full advantage, but not totally opposed.

I have been eyeballing the ASUS RT-N56U, but it has been so long since I purchased a router I feel really out of the loop on everything.

Appreciate everyone's advice.

These are very good 3x3 N routers

Netgear WNDR4500
Asus RT-N66U

These are very good AC routers

Netgear R6300
Asus RT-AC66U

If you are more budget conscious stick with N routers

Personally I would recommend concurrent dual band (such as above). 5Ghz has many advantages in RF busy environments. Even in RF clean environments, its nice to be able to use both bands.

As far as N versus AC, the way I look at it is that the newer chipsets usually include fixes learned from previous designs. If you can easily afford the AC models, go for it. I have both the WNDR4500 and the R6300 and the R6300 does a better job in weak signal conditions. Not tons better, but noticeable.