What's new

Time machine back up drive recommendation for XT8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

in2ndo

Regular Contributor
So, I hope is ok to ask here. Anyone using a drive with an XT8 for Apple's time machine back up that you can recommend?

TIA.

I don't recommend using the router for this purpose. Unreliable.
How come? Can’t the router handle it?. I’ve been using the Apple Time Capsule since they first released it. And the thing has been solid. But is beginning to act up. So before it dies on me, I would like to have something else in place.

How come? Can’t the router handle it?. I’ve been using the Apple Time Capsule since they first released it. And the thing has been solid. But is beginning to act up. So before it dies on me, I would like to have something else in place.
Third-party implementation of Time Machine support can be very iffy. I have a Netgear ReadyNAS that claims to support Time Machine network backups and the newer SMB protocol (as opposed to the older AFP implementation), and yet I have to clear the backups and start over every few months because of various errors. By contrast, my local HDD TM backup dates back to 2011 and I've been able transfer it with ease across various Mac upgrades!

Based on what I've read and heard of Asus' TM support (here's an example), you're looking at more frustration than peace of mind. My recommendation would be to use a local external disk — something like a 2TB SSD and a simple USB enclosure. It's going to be much faster, more reliable, more secure and easier to troubleshoot if there are any errors.

Yeah, I too have had bad results with trying to put TM backups on a ReadyNAS. On the other hand, I've also had less-than-stellar results with TM backups to genuine Apple Time Capsules --- there was a period where I had to wipe the backups every few months, which eventually Apple traced to a software bug on the Mac side, not the fault of the Time Capsules.

I think the over-the-air-transfer support in Time Machine is just barely adequately reliable for backup purposes, so if you've got any valuable data on your laptop, you'd be well advised to have a second backup plan. Most especially so if you're injecting any non-Apple gear into the equation, because then you know for sure that Apple is not testing your scenario.

FWIW, my current backup arrangements for my MacBook are (a) over-the-air Time Machine to an old Apple Airport with an external Seagate USB HDD (the Airport isn't serving wireless anymore, it's wired to my local net), and (b) for redundancy's sake, daily over-the-air rsync backups to a Synology NAS. If I were more disciplined I'd use Time Machine to a directly-connected USB drive, but I know I wouldn't get such backups done on a regular basis. The OTA backups happen as long as my laptop isn't asleep, which is by far the best thing about them.

If your old TC's disk is getting unreliable, the least messy improvement is to connect an external USB drive to it and just start backing up onto that volume instead of the internal one. I did that with two different TCs last December, and haven't seen any sign of trouble yet.

Third-party implementation of Time Machine support can be very iffy. I have a Netgear ReadyNAS that claims to support Time Machine network backups and the newer SMB protocol (as opposed to the older AFP implementation), and yet I have to clear the backups and start over every few months because of various errors. By contrast, my local HDD TM backup dates back to 2011 and I've been able transfer it with ease across various Mac upgrades!

Based on what I've read and heard of Asus' TM support (here's an example), you're looking at more frustration than peace of mind. My recommendation would be to use a local external disk — something like a 2TB SSD and a simple USB enclosure. It's going to be much faster, more reliable, more secure and easier to troubleshoot if there are any errors.
Sad day, when apple stop making the TM.
I do have an external USB that I plug in whenever I’m done with the laptop and I don’t forget. Is one of the reasons why I like the wireless backup. Half the time I forget to plug it in. I do use iCloud Drive. But I like to keep a local backup.
a NAS setup is just a little too much for my use and my pocket. I’m mostly backing up office docs and programs backup files.
Ended up getting a 2T Samsung T7 and got the Time Machine going with it but still have the apple airport going at it too. For the T7 I’m going to start another thread. Im trying to use it for something else too.

thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!