What's new

Time Machine does not work in 386.4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ersan

Occasional Visitor
After upgrading to 386.4 on my RT-AC88U Time Machine stopped working.

On the Mac when I go to add the disk it says "There was a problem connecting to the server - The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported."

Downgrading back to 386.3 fixes the issue.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 1.45.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 1.45.08 PM.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 109
Dirty upgrade?
Yes.

I see the system log now:
Code:
Jan 29 13:13:18 afpd[9771]: Couldn't open extension maping file /usr/etc/extmap.conf
Jan 29 13:13:18 afpd[9771]: Couldn't load extension -> type/creator mappings file "/usr/etc/extmap.conf"
Jan 29 13:13:18 afpd[9771]: uam_load(uams_dhx.so): failed to load: (null)
Jan 29 13:13:18 afpd[9771]: uam: uams_dhx.so load failure
Jan 29 13:13:18 afpd[9771]: uam_load(uams_dhx2.so): failed to load: (null)
Jan 29 13:13:18 afpd[9771]: uam: uams_dhx2.so load failure
Jan 29 13:13:20 Timemachine: daemon is started

From the client side:
Code:
2022-01-29 14:22:06  Failed to connect to 'afp://RT-AC88U-1410._afpovertcp._tcp.local./Backups.backupdb', error: Error Domain=com.apple.TimeMachine.Preferences Code=5 "Time Machine can’t connect to the backup disk." UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x7f8de7653d20 {Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-5997 "(null)"}, NSLocalizedDescription=Time Machine can’t connect to the backup disk., NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=There was an error authenticating with the provided username or password.}

Someone else has the same issue: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-386-4-is-now-available.76498/post-733146

Last edited:
FWIW, this works fine on my GT-AX11000.

Since you Mac is reporting an authentication error, you may need to reboot your Mac after upgrading your router. The server's keys probably get regenerated on the new version (which is why downgrading works).

If that doesn't work, you might try removing the router's disk from the TimeMachine list of Backup Disks, then add it back again. TimeMachine should find the existing (old) backups and verify that you want to assign them to your Mac.

Not also that the file `/usr/etc/extmap.conf` doesn't exist on my system, and TimeMachine still works...

FWIW, this works fine on my GT-AX11000.

Since you Mac is reporting an authentication error, you may need to reboot your Mac after upgrading your router. The server's keys probably get regenerated on the new version (which is why downgrading works).

If that doesn't work, you might try removing the router's disk from the TimeMachine list of Backup Disks, then add it back again. TimeMachine should find the existing (old) backups and verify that you want to assign them to your Mac.

Not also that the file `/usr/etc/extmap.conf` doesn't exist on my system, and TimeMachine still works...
Thank you for your reply.

I tried rebooting the Mac multiple times and it made no difference. I also know that /usr/etc/extmap.conf doesn't exist, that isn't the part of the error that was concerning - it is the problems loading uams_dhx2 (since that is, I believe, required in newer versions of macOS and if they aren't loaded then it will fail with the error I am seeing).

Which version of macOS are you using? And which version of asuswrt-merlin?

Last edited:
it is the problems loading uams_dhx2 (since that is, I believe, required in newer versions of macOS and if they aren't loaded then it will fail with the error I am seeing).
I don't use macs but I can startup Time Machine on the router. When I do I don't see those uams_dhx messages. Perhaps they we accidentally omitted from the firmware for your model.
Code:
# find / -name '*uams_dhx*'
/usr/lib/netatalk/uams_dhx2.so
/usr/lib/netatalk/uams_dhx.so
/usr/lib/netatalk/uams_dhx_passwd.so
/usr/lib/netatalk/uams_dhx2_passwd.so

I don't use macs but I can startup Time Machine on the router. When I do I don't see those uams_dhx messages. Perhaps they we accidentally omitted from the firmware for you model.
Code:
# find / -name '*uams_dhx*'
/usr/lib/netatalk/uams_dhx2.so
/usr/lib/netatalk/uams_dhx.so
/usr/lib/netatalk/uams_dhx_passwd.so
/usr/lib/netatalk/uams_dhx2_passwd.so
Indeed, the files are there on my router but I still get the failed to load message. It's possible they didn't compile correctly for my model for whatever reason. Is there any other place to submit bug reports or is this it?

Indeed, the files are there on my router but I still get the failed to load message. It's possible they didn't compile correctly for my model for whatever reason.
Do the file sizes look reasonable (i.e. not zero)?
Code:
# ls -l /usr/lib/netatalk/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 admin    root            14 Jan  1 19:26 uams_clrtxt.so -> uams_passwd.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 admin    root            18 Jan  1 19:26 uams_dhx.so -> uams_dhx_passwd.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 admin    root            19 Jan  1 19:26 uams_dhx2.so -> uams_dhx2_passwd.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    root         13788 Jan  1 19:26 uams_dhx2_passwd.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    root          9628 Jan  1 19:26 uams_dhx_passwd.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    root          5460 Jan  1 19:26 uams_guest.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    root          9596 Jan  1 19:26 uams_passwd.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    root          9632 Jan  1 19:26 uams_randnum.so

Do the file sizes look reasonable (i.e. not zero)?
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 admin    root            14 Jan  1 19:26 uams_clrtxt.so -> uams_passwd.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 admin    root            18 Jan  1 19:26 uams_dhx.so -> uams_dhx_passwd.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 admin    root            19 Jan  1 19:26 uams_dhx2.so -> uams_dhx2_passwd.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    root         13788 Jan  1 19:26 uams_dhx2_passwd.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    root          9628 Jan  1 19:26 uams_dhx_passwd.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    root          5460 Jan  1 19:26 uams_guest.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    root          9596 Jan  1 19:26 uams_passwd.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    root          9632 Jan  1 19:26 uams_randnum.so
They're quite a bit smaller than yours
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 admin    root            14 Jan  1 14:15 uams_clrtxt.so -> uams_passwd.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 admin    root            18 Jan  1 14:15 uams_dhx.so -> uams_dhx_passwd.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 admin    root            19 Jan  1 14:15 uams_dhx2.so -> uams_dhx2_passwd.so
-r-xr-xr-x    1 admin    root         10384 Jan  1 14:15 uams_dhx2_passwd.so
-r-xr-xr-x    1 admin    root          7236 Jan  1 14:15 uams_dhx_passwd.so
-r-xr-xr-x    1 admin    root          4820 Jan  1 14:15 uams_guest.so
-r-xr-xr-x    1 admin    root          6988 Jan  1 14:15 uams_passwd.so
-r-xr-xr-x    1 admin    root          9924 Jan  1 14:15 uams_randnum.so

Looks like this may be a problem specific to the AC88U build released. The other post I linked also had an AC88U (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-386-4-is-now-available.76498/post-733146)

Last edited:
If I run afpd without daemonizing it, I get:
Code:
# afpd -d -F /tmp/netatalk/afp.conf

afpd: symbol 'crypt': can't resolve symbol

afpd: symbol 'crypt': can't resolve symbol

Definitely seems like the two libraries were compiled without support for something on the AC88U build - probably OpenSSL, but I'm not an expert. Will wait for a fix from @RMerlin, I don't need Time Machine for now.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply.

I tried rebooting the Mac multiple times and it made no difference. I also know that /usr/etc/extmap.conf doesn't exist, that isn't the part of the error that was concerning - it is the problems loading uams_dhx2 (since that is, I believe, required in newer versions of macOS and if they aren't loaded then it will fail with the error I am seeing).

Which version of macOS are you using? And which version of asuswrt-merlin?
I am running the latest release of MacOS on my 16” 2021 MacBook Pro, and Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4

so, I do think I had to remove and re-add the router’s backup disk from my TimeMachine config to get things working after I upgraded to 386.4 - you might want to try that.

I have the same issue on the AC68U. I tried everything but there is no way to make it working.

I am happy to see this thread. I was going to get mad. well, hopefully it get's fixed soon. I will tick merlin with a tip .p

Dumb question, but I am having the same Time Machine issue with RT-AC3100, how would I apply this hotfix?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!