What's new

Time synchornization fails on all Windows devices behind AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dzemp

Occasional Visitor
On all Windows devices connected to my AC86U with Merlin 386.9 installed, the time synchronization fails. The error shown is:

Time synchronsation failed. Please check network connectivity and retry.

As soon as I connect to another (Wifi) router, it works within a few seconds. I already tried different config changes, enabled and disabled local NTP server, intercept NTP client requests, etc. Nothing helped. The router is configured in Wiress router mode.

Anyone seen the same issue, how can this be fixed?

Full factory reset and reconfigure , do not use any previous configurations to restore.

First make sure you use outside of your network public DNS servers in WAN and check the NTP server in Administration, System.
I get the DNS IPs from my ISP, so, public IPs outside of my network. What do I need to c heck with regards to NTP server? It's currently set to time.windows.com, but also tested other NTP servers without success.

but also tested other NTP servers without success

The default NTP server is pool.ntp.org and it doesn't need to be changed. Works well.

Do you connect your clients to Guest Network? Do you use any Custom Scripts? The problem you have is configuration related, not firmware.

Just did a factory reset, just configured the operation mode (Wireless again) and the 2.4 and 5Ghz Wifi. Nothing else... same result, time synchronization failed. No Guest Network, no custom script, nothing. When I connect my laptop to the cable modem, the time synchronization just works (to exclude the cable modem or ISP as possible root cause).

Again, there is no custom config applied. But it still doesn't work after a factory reset.

I don't remember NTP sync issues on 386.9 firmware, but try the new Asuswrt 386_51255. It was released few days back.

Okay, did some further tests... now the time sync also doesn't work when directly connected to my cable modem. It worked yesterday if I remember correctly, but not today. I'll check with my ISP, maybe the issue is related to the modem, as the time sync works when connected to my smartphone hotspot and others.

Last edited:
Sooo... it's indeed the cable modem! If set to bridge mode, it doesn't work, not with any configuration and independent how the devices are connected. With router mode enabled on the cable modem, it works, whether directly connected or through the AC86U (double NAT in this case).

The question is now: why is the time synchronization failing if the cable modem is set to bridge mode. My ISP has now created a ticket...