What's new

Time to replace an RT N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PartisanEntity

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I have been using an Asus RT N66U router for a long time now and would like to get a replacement.

We have a 2 story apartment. and several devices (PCs, Playstation, cell phones, tablets).

I would like to stick with Asus. What would be a good replacement? Maybe something in the upper mid-range?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Hi all,

I have been using an Asus RT N66U router for a long time now and would like to get a replacement.

We have a 2 story apartment. and several devices (PCs, Playstation, cell phones, tablets).

I would like to stick with Asus. What would be a good replacement? Maybe something in the upper mid-range?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I did the same 6 months ago. Replaced my good old RT-N66U after almost 7 years service with RT-AX88U. It is really excellent router and the most important - it has full support by @RMerlin.

Which one might depend on how things are going with your N66U. If you're having a few minor coverage/range/performance issues you might want to step up to an AC86U. If not you can save a few bucks with an AC68U. If your wife doesn't like the multi-horned alien look you could even try a Blue Cave (no Merlin).

Moving from WiFi 4 to WiFi 5 is significant, WiFi 6 is still uh optional.

Last edited:
I'd look for a Merlin-compatible unit with as many spatial streams as possible (higher receive gain, for more usable throughput over distance, even with 2x2 clients).

First choice would be an RT-AX88U. If you'd rather keep it under $200, then go RT-AC86U.

Thanks for all the feedback. What about the RT-AC88U? Would that be an option? Price-wise it fits my current budget.

The RT-AC88U has been superseded by both the RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U.

I could not suggest the RT-AC88U as a good buy today.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!