Time to replace an RT N66U

PartisanEntity

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I have been using an Asus RT N66U router for a long time now and would like to get a replacement.

We have a 2 story apartment. and several devices (PCs, Playstation, cell phones, tablets).

I would like to stick with Asus. What would be a good replacement? Maybe something in the upper mid-range?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

netware5

Very Senior Member
Hi all,

I have been using an Asus RT N66U router for a long time now and would like to get a replacement.

We have a 2 story apartment. and several devices (PCs, Playstation, cell phones, tablets).

I would like to stick with Asus. What would be a good replacement? Maybe something in the upper mid-range?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
I did the same 6 months ago. Replaced my good old RT-N66U after almost 7 years service with RT-AX88U. It is really excellent router and the most important - it has full support by @RMerlin.

Klueless

Very Senior Member
Which one might depend on how things are going with your N66U. If you're having a few minor coverage/range/performance issues you might want to step up to an AC86U. If not you can save a few bucks with an AC68U. If your wife doesn't like the multi-horned alien look you could even try a Blue Cave (no Merlin).

Moving from WiFi 4 to WiFi 5 is significant, WiFi 6 is still uh optional.

Last edited:

Trip

Very Senior Member
I'd look for a Merlin-compatible unit with as many spatial streams as possible (higher receive gain, for more usable throughput over distance, even with 2x2 clients).

First choice would be an RT-AX88U. If you'd rather keep it under $200, then go RT-AC86U.

PartisanEntity

Occasional Visitor
Thanks for all the feedback. What about the RT-AC88U? Would that be an option? Price-wise it fits my current budget.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
The RT-AC88U has been superseded by both the RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U.

I could not suggest the RT-AC88U as a good buy today.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!