What's new

TMobile Passpoint and WIFI 6 on Latest Merlin Firmware RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

Part of the Furniture
Okay, So when I enable wifi6 on my RT-AX88U on the latest stable merlin firmware, A new access point is being broadcasted from my router which gives the name TMobile Passpoint.

1646791495632.png

Code:
RT-AX88U-C7C0:/tmp/home/root# pidof hspotap
RT-AX88U-C7C0:/tmp/home/root# pidof radpd
RT-AX88U-C7C0:/tmp/home/root# killall -9 hspotap

The only way I can tell to get rid of it is to

killall -9 hspotap

My wifi 6 remains active, but the TMobile passpoint AP disappears, why is the router creating the TMobile Passpoint if wifi 6 is on using the RT-AX88U? is this an asus feature by design or a binary being used that isn't meant to be used?

Last edited:

Best I can tell, it appears you're being forced to participate. Or at least by default. Seems rougly equivalent to Amazon sidewalk, at least in how your networked device is being leveraged for the benefit of others. But I'm no expert. Only reading up on it now.

P.S. Hard to imagine it can't be disabled, unless it's required as part of WPA3 certification.

Best I can tell, it appears you're being forced to participate. Or at least by default. Seems rougly equivalent to Amazon sidewalk, at least in how your networked device is being leveraged for the benefit of others. But I'm no expert. Only reading up on it now.

P.S. Hard to imagine it can't be disabled, unless it's required as part of WPA3 certification.
Yea I read the article, I am not sure how it explains what is going on with my RT-AX88U advertising it. If I killall -9 hspotap on the router, it goes away. I guess I am going to have to make something that kills it every time the wifi gets restarted.

No idea why that would be enabled, the default values in libshared is disabled. Maybe that's ISP specific.

Try setting all these values to "0".

Code:
nvram show | grep mbo_enable

No idea why that would be enabled, the default values in libshared is disabled. Maybe that's ISP specific.

Try setting all these values to "0".

Code:
nvram show | grep mbo_enable
Right now they are all set at 1

Code:
RT-AX88U-C7C0:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep mbo_enable
mbo_enable=1
wl0_mbo_enable=1
wl1_mbo_enable=1
wl_mbo_enable=1

And My ISP is a cable company Comcast. I am not sure if they would enable this from their modem.

To be honest, I think to tell if it is an ISP issue we may need more comcast users, using this wifi 6 setting on the RT-AX88U to report this being a issue. Maybe it might be better to understand what these nvram variables mean. More specifically how could they be enabled via the GUI if it was not by the ISP (or Asus). I currently have implemented a kill script that runs at the end of wireless restart service event. It seems to be taking care of the problem. But I would like to know if this is able to accidently be enabled via the GUI some how.

To be honest, I think to tell if it is an ISP issue we may need more comcast users, using this wifi 6 setting on the RT-AX88U to report this being a issue. Maybe it might be better to understand what these nvram variables mean. More specifically how could they be enabled via the GUI if it was not by the ISP (or Asus). I currently have implemented a kill script that runs at the end of wireless restart service event. It seems to be taking care of the problem. But I would like to know if this is able to accidently be enabled via the GUI some how.

I'm curious. Is it open access? Is it confined to internet access?

Why isn't anyone else seeing this same behavior? What's different w/ your situation?

Why isn't anyone else seeing this same behavior? What's different w/ your situation?
I honestly don't know, I may be the first one actually paying that close attention. I cannot recall this being there on earlier versions of asuswrt-merlin. I am using the latest stable.

Maybe WPA3 is the trigger. Most users probably can support it yet given their current hardware.

Maybe WPA3 is the trigger. Most users probably can support it yet given there current hardware.
It is possible, I guess inspecting the Advanced_Wireless_Content.asp would tell us if
Code:
mbo_enable=1
wl0_mbo_enable=1
wl1_mbo_enable=1
wl_mbo_enable=1

gets enabled by the wpa3 setting.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!