What's new

TMobile Passpoint and WIFI 6 on Latest Merlin Firmware RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't see how this could be related to broadcasting an extra SSID. Are you sure this is really broadcast by your router, and not by a neighbour who's using that ISP?

I also have hostap running on my RT-AX88U (Asus enables it on the RT-AC68U, RT-AX88U and GT-AXE11000 - no idea why they chose these specific devices), and I have no mysterious SSIDs being broadcast, just my two primaries, and my one Guests network.

I don't see how this could be related to broadcasting an extra SSID. Are you sure this is really broadcast by your router, and not by a neighbour who's using that ISP?

I also have hostap running on my RT-AX88U (Asus enables it on the RT-AC68U, RT-AX88U and GT-AXE11000 - no idea why they chose these specific devices), and I have no mysterious SSIDs being broadcast, just my two primaries, and my one Guests network.
Honestly. When I view it through a Wifi analysis tool, the SSID appears as an hidden network. My cellular device detects the image above i showed you. The network overlaps with my router and disappears whenever i kill hspotap. Maybe my smart device is not being smart, and is dumbly identifying the "hidden" network being created by hspotap. I honestly don't know.

Honestly. When I view it through a Wifi analysis tool, the SSID appears as an hidden network. My cellular device detects the image above i showed you.
Does the MAC match your router?

Then no idea where that's coming from. I don't have it on my RT-AX88U.

You wouldn't know it from the following.

Not unless they have a *very* broad definition of better distribution and access to resources.

I guess it is to give TMobile users better connection with one another. One of those fine print legal terms..... Thanks for your help with this one. Gave me some great investigation points. So did RMerlin. Atleast now I have alittle better understanding of how it is being turned on.

Last edited:
I will just have to see what comes of it later in the future.
My guess is you have some other nvram settings that are enabling Passpoint support on your router. I thought Passpoint was something Asus worked on in the past but never did actually enable, as the webui pages are not present, and I've seen traces that Guest Network 4 (wlx.3) were reserved for it.

Wi-FI Agile is possibly just a requirement for it to get enabled, not the main control switch in itself.

Might be worth considering a factory default reset, unless you want to start digging into the numerous nvram settings tied to Passpoint.

My guess is you have some other nvram settings that are enabling Passpoint support on your router. I thought Passpoint was something Asus worked on in the past but never did actually enable, as the webui pages are not present, and I've seen traces that Guest Network 4 (wlx.3) were reserved for it.

Wi-FI Agile is possibly just a requirement for it to get enabled, not the main control switch in itself.

Might be worth considering a factory default reset, unless you want to start digging into the numerous nvram settings tied to Passpoint.
That is the problem. I just reconfigured all this yesterday on a new reset. So I imagine I will have to investigate the NVRAM, but I don't have any actual knowledge on the Passpoint. I am honestly starting to think it is the smart device doing the missidentification, because i am now using a different smartphone (same manufactuer samsung, but different model phone) and the issue isn't present on this newer model samsung phone. I don't even see the network with it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!