What's new

to reset or not to reset

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
Will doing a reset by holding the WPS button then connecting the power supply method take it back from Merlin firmware to stock firmware or will I not lose and have to upload Merlin firmware again

Still the same firmware afterwards, but with default settings for that firmware.

Ok that's reassuring I had a bit of trouble uncompromising the file the first time I didn't want to have to go through it again thanks
If that’s so, you may want to consider downloading it again, unzipping it, and verifying the SHA-256 checksum to ensure it’s a good copy of the firmware image.
What kind of trouble since it’s just a zip file? What os?

If that’s so, you may want to consider downloading it again, unzipping it, and verifying the SHA-256 checksum to ensure it’s a good copy of the firmware image.
I am having trouble with my VPN connection and I believe I have nailed it down to my router.When streaming media with the VPN running I will sometimes get an error message" cannot connect check your internet connection and try again" .Now I am finding while opening pages without the VPN running i get a message" cannot connect" just for a moment then the page will open. The OS is 384.11.2. And I must admit I was wondering if I might benefit from exactly the same thing, a fresh download. My router is about three years old and probably averages about ten hours a day.Do you know if it may be time to replace it or does that not sound like it may be coming to the end of it's days.It's an Asus rt ac 88 u

Sorry I just realized that you mean what trouble with the download.I am not very good with computers and I just had a lot of trouble unzipping / uncompromising the file but I got there in the end.I might not be very good with computers but like a dog with a bone I won't give up until I get there.When I grew up a computer consisted with your ten fingers and ten toes

Do you know if it may be time to replace it or does that not sound like it may be coming to the end of it's days.It's an Asus rt ac 88 u
Routers don't "wear out" with usage. Sounds to me like you are simply dropping connection with your ISP now and then and your router is reconnecting (as it should). You get the error message on your client when the connection is down and it takes a few seconds longer for your VPN to reconnect.

First place I'd look is your router system log.

Routers don't "wear out" with usage. Sounds to me like you are simply dropping connection with your ISP now and then and your router is reconnecting (as it should). You get the error message on your client when the connection is down and it takes a few seconds longer for your VPN to reconnect.

First place I'd look is your router system log.
Ok thanks for that it will be the second thing I do when the tables ready cheers

Ok thanks for that it will be the second thing I do when the tables ready cheers
What you say does make sense.We have just swapped over to the national NBN here (Australia) which is a new government initiative aimed at giving us all a faster network but it is still in it's infancy and is plagued with problems / bugs .