What's new

Too many NASes to choose from!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xenor

New Around Here
Recently, I've been wanting to add a NAS to our home network. I like the looks of the Nergear ReadyNAS Duo RND2150, but the price is a little steep, and I think that it's more than I really need.

Basically, I need something that can do two things:

1) Backup to another NAS on the network. I'd like to keep one at the primary site, and another at the secondary site, just in case.

2) Media serving capabilities. We'll be keeping our photos and videos on it, and it would be really nice to not have to muck about on the computer and just have something connected to the television.

I really like the expandability of the ReadyNAS, the idea of shoving bigger drives in the thing as they come down is price is highly appealing, not to mention it's fast and generally well regarded, but the cost of two is rather steep.

Is there something a little less expensive that will do just as well for less, or should I quit whining and fork out the cash?

You didn't say how much space you need and whether you prefer a BYOD (Bring Your Own Disk) or diskful NAS.

Since you are using two NASes (good approach, by the way), RAID isn't a requirement, right? There are plenty of single drive NASes that can do what you want.

Have you looked at the Buffalo LinkStations?

You didn't say how much space you need and whether you prefer a BYOD (Bring Your Own Disk) or diskful NAS.
I'd like to get somewhere around 500GB for now. Either BYOD or otherwise is fine, as long as I can swap the drive out later for something larger if need be (or if I find a good deal on drives :D ).

Since you are using two NASes (good approach, by the way), RAID isn't a requirement, right? There are plenty of single drive NASes that can do what you want.
No, RAID isn't a requirement, it just seems from my (albeit somewhat limited) research that two drive NASes are geared toward small businesses and built a little better - since there will be business documents on it, i'd rather pay for something solid than have to futz with it all the time.

Have you looked at the Buffalo LinkStations?
I did, and while I liked what I saw, they don't seem to be user servicable. I'd really like something where the user is meant to be able to replace the drive.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!