What's new

Top-notch Network Camera for Training Sessions + Security

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jalyst

Hoping some folks can help...

I'm wanting a camera for my downstairs back patio, it'd be a security camera;
But is equally important for recording exercise sessions & doing remote PT sessions.
As that space has been converted to a Home Gym.

Requirements are as follows...

(1)
Excellent Image Quality & a wide FOV (horizontal & vertical)
(2)
Decent audio capture abilities (field-array mic?)
(3)
Can Pan/Tilt/Zoom as the subject moves, & not be confused if there's a 2nd subject standing nearby
Can completely encircle the subject to look at it from behind & the sides, not just the front or above
(4)
Hopefully not heaps more than $500

(5)
Can be powered via A/C + Ethernet (not just PoE)
(6A)
Can transmit recordings via quality WiFi (not just Ethernet)
OR
(6B)
At the very least record to mSD/SD or some other local storage medium

If there's 1 or more model that satisfies points 1 to 4 but not 5, then I guess I can forget the latter.
If it/they also can't do 6A or B, then I guess I can forget them too...

But I really hope it/they can meet at least some of the points beyond 1 to 3!

If it's too hard to meet all of 3, then maybe just these elements:
Can Pan/Tilt/Zoom as the subject moves... (on refection, it doesn't matter if it won't always focus on the subject, as the other person will be close to subject most of the time anyway!)
Can encircle the subject to look at it from behind & the sides, not just the front or above (maybe do-able with 2 or 3 well-positioned cams?)

If it helps...
Later I'll link to a video of the space, & I'll try to get some rough dimensions of the entire space?
Surely there's something out there that comes substantially close to what I want!

Thank-you.

These come fairly close, & the pricing isn't eye watering:
Reolink RLC-423S - 5MP PTZ PoE IP Security Camera
Reolink RLC-423WS - 5MP Pan Tilt Zoom WiFi Camera

But it seems only the PoE version can Pan/Tilt/Zoom in the direction of the subject?

Nope the matrix was wrong, the product page confirms that the WiFi version also does Pan/Tilt/Zoom!
I wish the PoE version did WiFi too, or they at least offered a SKU that does both (at least there's local recording)!
And I wish the PoE version also had A/C-in + Eth, not just PoE!
Their pre-sales is retarded so they may've misunderstood what I'm asking, but they seemed to confirm it does do A/C-in + Eth, not just PoE!

Last edited:
Yes actually looking at them just before, going to have a closer look soon...
Not sure if any of their models quite meet what I'm wanting, but need to place a steelier eye on them all.

Why do you point specifically to them...
Are they known to be amongst the best in terms of PTZ etc, auto-following, wide FOV (vertical/horizontal), & just overall top-notch IQ & Sound capture?

I'm happy to forget the Solar & or Battery capabilities, but I'd rather not drop anything else.

Annoyingly....
Few of the top network cams out there (in terms of IQ + Audio) seem to have AC-in & Eth, or PoE + AC-in & Eth.
I don't want to inject power over 1 of my CAT6A runs, I already have power fairly close, no urgent need for PoE.

I have no hands-on Axis experience. But their stuff is pro-grade and they have a wide array of models.

Consumer cams today are focusing on cloud models where they have a shot at selling subscriptions to higher capacity storage plans. D-Link probably has the broadest line of cams that don't require cloud connect. But my experience with them is that their software is not great.

You should also look into Panasonic and Sony.

In my readings (at Ars Technica)...
I've learnt that IPCamTalk's the premiere community for this subject-matter.
I've now posted there & OCAU (already have at whirlpool.net.au)
, thanks Tim!

I've updated my OP & more clearly defined what I'm wanting;
Hopefully now more folks have more ideas on what to suggest!

TY/BR.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!