What's new

toto vpn or strong vpn?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

2 users with 1 post recommending StrongVPN with links to their websites... Looks somewhat suspicious.

I have never been a fan of StrongVPN. Too complicated packages. They do not support OpenVPN in all their countries/servers. They limit the number of server switches. Expensive.

I'm liking astrill vpn with the router app... Best I've seen sofar

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I appreciate all the input. I've been researching and comparing VPN providers over the last couple of days. Considering Astrill based on some of the comments but some of the online reviews are mixed. Also leaning towards VyperVPN though it seems to be quite expensive.

Any other comments or advice is welcome.

rocko

I appreciate all the input. I've been researching and comparing VPN providers over the last couple of days. Considering Astrill based on some of the comments but some of the online reviews are mixed. Also leaning towards VyperVPN though it seems to be quite expensive.

Any other comments or advice is welcome.

rocko

You know why Astrill gets mixed reviews in the internet? Because they stopped their affiliate program and therefore all ranking related websites cannot make a profit, hence they are not pushing them...

VyprVPN looks very good indeed. They developed their own protocol called Chameleon (aka Astrill's StealthVPN) for heavy censored countries (China, UAE etc) and they are making a nice progress. It seems also they are working on similar to Astrill applet, although for DD-WRT fw. I am hoping to try them out soon and perhaps use them as Astrill's backup. IPVanish & Express VPN are also on my "waiting" list.

I believe it is worth to pay few bucks more and get a proper service than hassle with it. That's why I can't recommend Astrill enough, their customer service is very responsive & solutions are innovative. Their desktop app which allows you to exclude or route only particular apps (e.g. browsers) is also second to none. I usually use Astrill's applet on the router and exclude say desktop computer on which I run dedicated app for better VPN performance.

You know why Astrill gets mixed reviews in the internet? Because they stopped their affiliate program and therefore all ranking related websites cannot make a profit, hence they are not pushing them...

VyprVPN looks very good indeed. They developed their own protocol called Chameleon (aka Astrill's StealthVPN) for heavy censored countries (China, UAE etc) and they are making a nice progress. It seems also they are working on similar to Astrill applet, although for DD-WRT fw. I am hoping to try them out soon and perhaps use them as Astrill's backup. IPVanish & Express VPN are also on my "waiting" list.

I believe it is worth to pay few bucks more and get a proper service than hassle with it. That's why I can't recommend Astrill enough, their customer service is very responsive & solutions are innovative. Their desktop app which allows you to exclude or route only particular apps (e.g. browsers) is also second to none. I usually use Astrill's applet on the router and exclude say desktop computer on which I run dedicated app for better VPN performance.

VyprVPN logs data and will terminate accounts depending on what you are doing. Strong will also terminate accounts depending on activity and they record data as well.

Last edited:
I believe that if you use your router as the client that counts as 1 connection no matter how many devices you have.
David's right, if you configure your router to connect to a VPN service that counts as one single used connection and then all the devices on your LAN connected wired or wireless will all share that one connection using your router's local DHCP server. I am using IPVanish right now, they are the fastest I've tested even if you count the other VSPs mentioned above, they offer 2 concurrent connections and the setup is real easy to configure for Tomato or DDWRT firmware. If anyone is interested, the setup guides can be found here.

I would suggest that you read Astrill's entire TOS, part of which is pasted below. Also you should review their privacy policy.

While they say they won't sell your information that doesn't mean that if law enforcement produces a valid warrant they won't roll over on you. I believe a couple or the principals in Anonymous are doing time because their VPN provider identified them when compelled to do so.

PART OF TOS:

Ending your relationship with Astrill

12.1 The Terms will continue to apply until terminated by either you or Astrill as set out below.

12.2 Astrill may at any time, terminate its legal agreement with you if:

(A) you have breached any provision of the Terms (or have acted in manner which clearly shows that you do not intend to, or are unable to comply with the provisions of the Terms); or
(B) Astrill is required to do so by law (for example, where the provision of the Services to you is, or becomes, unlawful); or
(C) the partner with whom Astrill offered the Services to you has terminated its relationship with Astrill or ceased to offer the Services to you; or
(D) Astrill is transitioning to no longer providing the Services to users in the country in which you are resident or from which you use the service; or
(E) the provision of the Services to you by Astrill is, in Astrill's opinion, no longer commercially viable.

Copyright and trade mark policies

15.1 It is Astrill's policy to respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement that comply with applicable international intellectual property law (including, in the United States, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act) and to terminating the accounts of repeat infringers.

If all devices routed through router's VPN or Astrill applet (depending on the settings) = 1 connection. If you exclude say desktop PC from routing through VPN on Astrill VPN and run dedicated desktop app = 2 connections.

MOST if not all VPNs log users activity. Just think about it:
- spammers (SEO, email scams etc)
- national security threats

Even if they say they don't keep logs, hosting companies where VPN providers have their servers might be required by law to keep logs activity on their servers. So this would be beyond VPN providers.

Just don't believe in statements that VPNs do not keep logs. On the other hand, if you just have normal internet activity, streaming Hulu/Netflix, downloading movies (but not torrenting where you share copyrighted material automatically), there is nothing to worry about.

Just don't believe in statements that VPNs do not keep logs. On the other hand, if you just have normal internet activity, streaming Hulu/Netflix, downloading movies (but not torrenting where you share copyrighted material automatically), there is nothing to worry about.

That's extent of it for me. I spent some time comparing Vypr and Astrill's desktop VPN clients and was getting slightly better speedtests with Astrill's. I signed up for Astrill's 7-day trial and setup the router applet which was a cinch. I'll see how it goes over the next few days but looks like Astrill's the one for me.

A lot of great info here; thanks a lot folks!

rocko

I may signed up for a year with astrill and the home vpn for 129... The speed even during peak hours is the same 125/25(via desktop)

Try IPVanish you can get good speed I read the Lawrence Traynor Interview where he said that IPVanish is the fastest and reliable VPN in the world. IPVanish supports PPTP, L2TP, and OpenVPN protocols.

Try IPVanish you can get good speed I read the Lawrence Traynor Interview where he said that IPVanish is the fastest and reliable VPN in the world. IPVanish supports PPTP, L2TP, and OpenVPN protocols.

The applet on the router sold me.... It can't get faster than my full speed that in getting with astrill plus the router app ftw..

That's extent of it for me. I spent some time comparing Vypr and Astrill's desktop VPN clients and was getting slightly better speedtests with Astrill's. I signed up for Astrill's 7-day trial and setup the router applet which was a cinch. I'll see how it goes over the next few days but looks like Astrill's the one for me.

rocko
I am currently trying out Astrill as well and have installed the applet on my router. All seems good except that the Traffic Manager is not working correctly (Real time per device) and this was working perfectly before. Is yours working?
Cheers!

I am currently trying out Astrill as well and have installed the applet on my router. All seems good except that the Traffic Manager is not working correctly (Real time per device) and this was working perfectly before. Is yours working?
Cheers!

Never used it... All i know is that, I'm pulling 125/25 with the software on my pc and laptop.... And the router handles all my other devices.

Cheers!

No idea how Astril is implementing things, but if they make any change to the FORWARD chain, they might end up bypassing the IPTraffic iptable rules.

Never used it... All i know is that, I'm pulling 125/25 with the software on my pc and laptop.... And the router handles all my other devices.

I agree, the speed is good. Just want to get the traffic manager back to normal. The daily and the monthly seem to be working fine per device, it's just the real-time that shows no data other than TCP and UDP connections.

Cheers!

From what I can tell, it looks to be working for me.

I'm looking for a solid VPN that I can run on my router since I have six+ devices requiring internet access. But the Astrill ProAddon with router support says that it only supports 2 devices connecting at the same time. Any other recommendations for VPN I only need to configure on my router and not worry about running anything PC/laptops, iPad, PS3 and XBOX?

Thank you
try punchvpn Openwrt based routers fropm punchvpn.com. Its a VPN router which enables VPN sharing not only from your home/office but also when you are away from home. They have Remote access feature which will enable access to router's VPN connection when you are away using your smart phone, IPAD or laptop. This feature will let you share the single VPN account at multiple location. For example I use it at my home and when I travel I simply connect my smartphone back to my punchvpn router using L2TP or PPTP (both protocols are native on IPhone, Android, windows and macs). And presto I get encrypted and anonymous VPN connection using single VPN account. Its just like sharing the VPN account when you are at home, only this time you are away from home. The router has many advanced features, not found any where else. It supports all 5 VPN protocols and best of all it can find the best VPN speed from list of VPN servers (100's of servers depending upon your VPNSP) automatically. You can also do this manually if you want. Router also offers basic NAS which I can use both at home and when travelling (using remote access). www.punchvpn.com has tutorial videos. The router is not specific to any particular VPN provider. It can work with any VPNSP.

rocko

I have been using Strongvpn for over 2 years now and the speed is nothing to write home about - mind you am in Europe. And just yesterday, I got a 7 day trial with Astrill and was getting good speeds from the NY server . 50mb or at time over 50mb over my fiber 120mb. However, I was a bit surprised that my phone # was required before I can use Astrill. Am still looking for more info about their service before I get up a 1 year Sub as my Strongvpn will expire in few days time.