What's new

News TP-Link Announces Its First Software Defined Networking Solution Line-Up, Omada SDN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
tplink-omada-cloud-management.jpg
Omada SDN adds a new cloud-based network management solution to TP-Link’s line of business products giving IT professionals "single-pane-of-glass” control over gateways, controllers, Power Over Ethernet (PoE) and smart switches, access points, and software/cloud controllers.

Omada SDN features/benefits include:
  • Centralized management and monitoring
  • Zero-touch provisioning
  • Zero monthly fees
  • Guaranteed 99.9% availability SLA
  • No user data passing through the cloud
  • Firewall and security features included
Available later this year, TP-Link’s Omada SDN will include the following offerings:
  • TL-SG2210P -- JetStream SDN 8-Port Gigabit Smart PoE+ Switch with 2 SFP Slots, 60W budget, $109.99
  • TL-SG3428MP - JetStream™ SDN 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Smart Switch with 4 SFP Slots, 400W budget, $279.99
  • TL-R605 - SafeStream SDN Gigabit Load Balance Broadband VPN Multi-WAN Router, $59.99
  • EAP660 HD - Omada SDN AX3600 Wi-Fi 6 Wireless Dual Band Ceiling Mount HD Access Point, $199.99
  • EAP225_V3 - Omada SDN AC1350 Wireless Dual Band Ceiling Mount Access Point with Mesh Solution, $59.99
  • EAP225-Outdoor - Omada SDN AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Outdoor Access Point with Mesh Solution, $69.99
  • EAP235-Wall - Omada SDN AC1200 Gigabit Wireless Dual Band Wall Plate Access Point, $59.99
  • OC200 - Omada Hardware Controller with Cloud Access, up to 100 Aps, $89.99

Could be a decent, low-budget alternative to other cloud-based full stack ecosystems (Ubiquiti UniFi, Cisco Meraki), but TP-Link needs a serious re-do of their TL-series routers before they'll have a chance at really competing. The routers are under-powered and under-developed.

The routers are under-powered and under-developed.

Hi Trip, I see you know networking. Do you have any experience with this new TL-R605 router by chance? I'm willing to try something different this time around with Omada setup. My major concern is the router part. I don't need anything super high performance. What I need is reliable dual WAN failover. I know Cisco RV3xx series, Ubiquiti Edgerouters, Netgate/PFSense all work well. Except some minor issues with Ubiquiti lately. I already have those working at different locations. Peplink Balance series are very good too, expensive units. Curious to see what this $60 TP-Link router has to offer. Thank you! My original question is here

Hi @Tech9 - No experience with the R605, but based on my exposure to the R600 and older, larger TL-ER series, I would venture the R605 should work well enough most home setups. The only way to really know is to buy and try. Fortunately, it's only $60. Sorry I don't have more for you at this point.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!