What's new

TP-Link AP behind gigabit Switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

revitulize

New Around Here
I have a feeling that this is going to be my new favorite place(forum-wise)

I have a room in my home where I need to put an Access Point with directional antennae for my detached garage apartment tenant. I only have one CAT6 line ran to this room where I currently store my NAS, so I added a Rosewill 5-port gigabit switch.

I've setup the AP and when I connect directly to the router, everything works perfectly. DHCP Server(main router) dishes out IP's as expected since DHCP server is disabled within the AP. However, when I take the AP to the room and connect it to the switch, I can connect to it, but cannot get an IP address.

Do I need a managed switch or should I just run a 2nd line? Thoughts?
thanks in advance

No, I don't think you need a new device. I have similar way of linking in my house Asus router->D-Link switch->TP-Link Archer C20 in AP mode, and it works perfectly. When I connect to TP-Link, I get IP from my Asus router.

Are you sure that if you connect to the switch, you will get IP from your main router? Check as well that you connect cable from switch to TP Link AP correctly(WAN port or LAN port, based on your setting)

These are just basic checks, others probably ask for something better.

A quick diagram of the network layout may help here.

Can you connect a laptop to the switch and get it to work properly?

Attached is a simple map of my setup. My house is very old, which explains why the modem is not directly connected to the main router(dhcp server). I plan to change it at a later date, but need an immediate fix for the situation at hand.
My network works great the way it is setup and I do have experience with simple networking...but I am not certified. I am going to connect some other devices to the switch to see if I can get an IP address via the server. Currently, everything behind it that's connected through the switch is static.
I think the easiest solution is just to pull another line. But the tinkerer in me, wants to know why I cannot get it to work.
many thanks for the help

Attachments

• Map.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 362
Attached is a simple map of my setup. My house is very old, which explains why the modem is not directly connected to the main router(dhcp server). I plan to change it at a later date, but need an immediate fix for the situation at hand.
My network works great the way it is setup and I do have experience with simple networking...but I am not certified. I am going to connect some other devices to the switch to see if I can get an IP address via the server. Currently, everything behind it that's connected through the switch is static.
I think the easiest solution is just to pull another line. But the tinkerer in me, wants to know why I cannot get it to work.
many thanks for the help
I don't think that is the correct way of setting that up, if your modem is not set as DHCP server(only in bridge mode), then the connection should be WAN-> Modem->Router->Switch->NAS and AP. Basically, the router should be in between every device and modem. If you can't set it up that way, an immediate fix would be to set your modem as modem router(with DHCP server running), and set your router to AP as well.

Edit(add): If your modem is running as modem router, the problem here is that every device connected to switch don't know whether to take IP from your router or your modem router, which may cause problems.

I don't think that is the correct way of setting that up, if your modem is not set as DHCP server(only in bridge mode), then the connection should be WAN-> Modem->Router->Switch->NAS and AP. Basically, the router should be in between every device and modem. If you can't set it up that way, an immediate fix would be to set your modem as modem router(with DHCP server running), and set your router to AP as well.

Edit(add): If your modem is running as modem router, the problem here is that every device connected to switch don't know whether to take IP from your router or your modem router, which may cause problems.
thanks for the quick reply @Wutikorn , the modem is a modem only and has no routing capabilities. Does that help?

Silly me!!!
I just realized that I was not actually accessing my NAS, but a drive folder labeled NAS that is synced...but not since I moved it.
Since my modem is upstairs, I have the copper line connected to the WAN port on the main router...which, obviously, explains my issue.
thanks for the help! I can sleep now

Setup should be something like this to work properly:

xofel2.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!