What's new

TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'll have to try the newer firmware before I return it. I was running a December beta.

Why aren't any of these making GA?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

At a guess its because they are still running in to problems with the firmware, so they are attempting to fix them before making them generally available.

I was thinking about trying out this router. But with the 2.4 GHz antennas being internal and in Tim's review they have weak range. This is a negative for me as I still have many 2.4 GHz devices upstairs and outside.

I'm glad I just stumbled across this. I was just curious so yesterday I whipped out my WD MyNet N900 to see how its range compared to the Archer C7. I can say that from the same location, the Archer C7 was about 2-5dbi better on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band at all locations. Not significant, but better.

And compared to my old D-Link DIR-825 it had MUCH better range.

This was with stock firmware. I will upgrade to the new leaked firmware and see if it makes any difference.

I want to buy this router since it now dropped to $95.00. But I want to make sure I am getting a v2 model. Can't find this any where in local stores only online.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
To RogerSC.....

Mod...Please delete...I opened my eyes and re-read the product description and found it to be V2. My bad.....

The link you posted back to Newegg for the TP Link AC Router...is that version 2 they are selling? Thanks...Paul

Last edited:
Mod...Please delete...I opened my eyes and re-read the product description and found it to be V2. My bad.....

The link you posted back to Newegg for the TP Link AC Router...is that version 2 they are selling? Thanks...Paul

Yes, that was a link to Newegg, that was selling version 2 of the TP Link router. The link still works, by the way *smile*.

Differences between v1 & v2.....

Yes, that was a link to Newegg, that was selling version 2 of the TP Link router. The link still works, by the way *smile*.

Thanks...I really like the router and Version 2 looks to have more ram. Do you know if that's the only difference from v1? Thx again.:D

seems the v2 version of the c7 is 3rd party compatible which would make it a good cheap play thing for the 3rd party world

with the advent of the c8

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=Archer+C8

and the news of the c9

http://www.cebit.de/product/archer-c9/456765/Q250142?source=pkl

the C7 will soon be a thing of the past so you may as well grab one while stocks last

im not all that impressed by the 2.4 gig on the v2 but it is better than the original v1 which in my humble opinion was just horrid

pete

v1.1 - 6 antennas

Hi

I have the latest fw 02.04.2014 Firmware. Only having N clients for 300 Mbit 5 GHz and 2,4 GHz.

No problems so far - but i have to say; 5 GHz is much weaker signal than 2,4 GHz. Higher link speed but weaker signal strenght.

I've soldered 3 identical 5 dbi antennas on the 2,4 GHz - now protruding out from the side. 5 dbi on both 5 GHz and 2,4 GHz.

I pull 13-15 MB/Sek from my NAS using...

In general 5GHz is almost always weaker than 2.4GHz on any router even same room.

My WDR3600 at 5ft LoS runs to -25dBm on 2.4GHz (channel 1) and around -35dBm on 5GHz (channel 153). 5GHz is faster same room, but once I move out of the same room it dips below 2.4GHz speeds (both 40MHz). 5GHz is often a hair faster out to medium distances on my other WDR3600...but that is only because I have that one set to 20MHz 2.4GHz (channel 11) and 40MHz 5GHz (channel 161). Two rooms over and 2.4GHz is faster than 5GHz again on my basement router.

In part that is because antenna gain has to be optimized for one band, it cannot be best in both bands and in general it is optimized for 2.4GHz, which means that 5GHz gain might actually be 2-3dBm lower than 5GHz to start with. It also penetrates less well, so whatever your 5GHz is punching through (phone/tablet/PC/laptop chasis) also weakens it more than 2.4GHz would be weakened. So even line of sight a few feet away 5GHz is almost always going to be at least a few dB weaker than 2.4GHz.

In general 5GHz is almost always weaker than 2.4GHz on any router even same room.

this not the case for most of the new ac routers as the 5 gig performance is far better with beamforming and amplification

the main issue with the C7 is that its 2.4 gig antennas are internal and its 5 gig antennas are external and at range the 2.4 gig performance degrades quite fast and the 5 gig out performs it , this is the case with both v1 and v2 , the v2 is slightly better but not by much

i have a tp link archer D7 here and it has dual band antennas , the issue is the dual band antennas in this case are better suited to the 5 gig range and so the 2.4 gig suffers , i switch out the stock antennas on the D7 for the netgear r7000 antennas and the 2.4 gig signal improved dramatically without cost to the 5 gig

internal antennas are never going to perform the same as external antennas and this is why tp link have gone for dual band antennas on its newer C8 and C9

pete

this not the case for most of the new ac routers as the 5 gig performance is far better with beamforming and amplification
pete

Can't agree with that...I have two of the new wireless-AC routers here, both of which have great 5GHz. coverage, but the 2.4GHz. coverage is always better. That's physics, a 5GHz. signal attenuates a lot quicker than a 2.4GHz. signal with distance, and objects in between the router and client. You can't beat physics.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!