What's new

TP-LINK C5400 vs ASUS RT-5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GBAllison

New Around Here
2400 sq feet, 3 floors, and the current state of mesh still makes me want to go BigHonkinRouter. Lots of devices, so I also want tri-radio. I'm not buying any devices with AD or MU-MIMO, so those don't come into play. So I'm looking at the latest 5300 class devices. The Netgear, D-Link and Linksys all took themselves out of the running (for a host of reasons) and I'm down to the TP-LINK and ASUS. Here's my short take:

The ASUS is a prosumer class device--it's more expensive and more complex but it can be tweaked and tortured if you invest the time in it. It also offers things like AiCloud, which is cool, but clearly a security risk if you don't follow your firmware updates *religiously*. It's about $100 more than the TP-LINK ($350 vs $250). The TP-LINK is more of a consumer class device--set it, forget it, let SmartConnect do its thing, no QoS, no surfing history, no cloud. Most reviewers agree that the TP-LINK software is head-and-shoulders more consumer friendly (and limited) than the ASUS.

I'm guessing the ASUS is faster, but can't find actual data: Specifically, I can't find any site that has tested the performance on these two devices using the same testing protocol. The closest I've been able to find is pcmag, which shows the ASUS as the runaway winner when you consider 5GHz close and 30-feet, 2.4GHz close and 30-feet. (Not 1st in any category, but chalking up a 2nd place in every category, against the entire field.) Within the 5300 generation, ASUS beats the L:inksys EA9500 handily, and dominates the D-Link 895 in the 2.4GHz band. I think it's a fair *guess* that the ASUS might win over the TP-LINK (but only guessing).

What's the same: They're both about the same size, physically. They both have the same ports, although the ASUS's USB 3.0 is measured a lot slower than the TP-LINK. SmartConnect actually produces a performance boost for *both* routers (something not true for some others in this class), and SmartConnect can be used to join all three radios onto a single SSID if you want that as an option (again, not true for some others in this class).

Here's another thing I can't tell: Which router is going to stay up and running, and not have to be rebooted every night? Which one is going to drop my stupid slow legacy finicky devices three times a day. Which one is going to drop Grandma's ancient iPad when she comes to visit? I would *like* all the cool features, but the most important feature (to me) is reliability.

Help? Thanks!

Just my opinion, but three floors and 2400 sq feet would have me do AP's or Mesh. Personally, the two you mentioned, imho are overkill, unless maybe you had crazy amounts of connected clients, routing needs etc.. My place is smaller at 1600 sq feet, but even the best routers did just as well as most 1900AC class routers I tested with regarding range and speed. Currently, I am running a TP-Link C2600 as the main router and just bought a Asus RT-AC1900 as an AP. and I have 14 clients connected. I have had issues in the past with Asus and USB drives randomly disconnecting, but the TP-Link has been rock solid. Have not tried the new Asus with a USB drive, but will one day.

While I really like TP-Link, I prefer Asus, they have been rock solid reliable running Merlin. They run OpenVPN Server/Client and a click on AP mode out of the box. TP-Link has also killed any chance of running 3rd party firmware like Merlin as they locked the hardware down.

Thanks for your experience with those, Screwdriver. And microchip, that's really encouraging. I do see that TP-LINK published a comment related to that FCC settlement. http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1058.html

Either way, I still see the TP-LINK as consumer/fewer features and the ASUS as prosumer/more features.

As I mentioned, reliability is key--really sorry to hear that the ASUS is fighting with USB-attached storage.

And still ... I haven't found anyone who's done speed tests on both the C5400 and the RT5300. (Sigh) :)

Mesh, never! :) AP's? Not needed for most situations, ime.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/sh...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

Based on the above link/experience, the RT-AC5300 should be more than capable of providing more than adequate WiFi for your environment (particularly if you can locate it central to your coverage area(s)).

You should come to my place. My house has lath and plaster walls. The builder also added chicken wire for extra oomph! I literally live in a Faraday cage. It's also a small ranch style house....living room to the left, large kitchen in the middle, bathroom, office, master bedroom to the right. Stove/Oven/Fridge in on the wall of the living room side. Anything I put in the office sucks at delivering a decent signal to the living room.

My house has lath and plaster walls. The builder also added chicken wire for extra oomph!

Chickenwire in Plaster/Lath is normal, and is a big problem for WiFi...

(and demolition for remodeling, been there...)

I suppose the upside is that this also cuts down on interference from the neighbors..

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!