What's new

TP-Link EAP245 V3 VS my existing RT-68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GawainXX2

Occasional Visitor
I'm in the process of overhauling my network layout and switching to a PFSENSE router as well as connecting everything through a switch in my basement.

I'm currently looking for an enterprise Wave 2 AP so that I can have multiple SSIDs on different VLANS.
How would the range and performance of the EAP245 V3 compare with my current RT-68U (AC1900).
Would it be fairly comparable and I should be able to do a direct swap or would it have less transmit range?

I'm in the process of overhauling my network layout and switching to a PFSENSE router as well as connecting everything through a switch in my basement.

I'm currently looking for an enterprise Wave 2 AP so that I can have multiple SSIDs on different VLANS.
How would the range and performance of the EAP245 V3 compare with my current RT-68U (AC1900).
Would it be fairly comparable and I should be able to do a direct swap or would it have less transmit range?

Performance is great. Range not so much. Your old ASUS router should have have an AP mode though. It’s only worth it if you want better easy control of guest networks and control. and have several of them not just one.

But range is definitely not as good which is the only reason I hate it compared to using my old setup.

It recently got a EAP245 and 225 last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Performance is great. Range not so much. Your old ASUS router should have have an AP mode though. It’s only worth it if you want better easy control of guest networks and control. and have several of them not just one.

But range is definitely not as good which is the only reason I hate it compared to using my old setup.

It recently got a EAP245 and 225 last week.

It does have an AP mode although my goal is to separate IOT, guest and regular devices from each other. How much weaker would you say the signal is comparatively? My current ac68u covers pretty much the entirety of my lot with 2.4. 5ghz gets to my detached garage but is around 64dbm.

It does have an AP mode although my goal is to separate IOT, guest and regular devices from each other. How much weaker would you say the signal is comparatively? My current ac68u covers pretty much the entirety of my lot with 2.4. 5ghz gets to my detached garage but is around 64dbm.

I’ll try to remind my self to post a screenshot of my ASUS 86u and the EAP next to each other signal strength wise in the morning.

If you don’t see a response from me in about 8 hours respond to this post and I’ll get a notification or send me a PM. I can be forgetful sometimes.

I’ll try to remind my self to post a screenshot of my ASUS 86u and the EAP next to each other signal strength wise in the morning.

If you don’t see a response from me in about 8 hours respond to this post and I’ll get a notification or send me a PM. I can be forgetful sometimes.

Thanks, please let me know.. It'd be ideal if I could just swap out the existing RT-68U directly and not have to deal with additional Ethernet runs and AP(s).

First is next to them 2.4GHz. 2nd is 5ghz a few rooms away. Its honestly not much of a difference. But every router I have seems to have a slight higher signal than these.

One example is my front yard. Is almost zero usable signal when my previous AP in the same spot it was slow but usable so I had to add a extender outside.

385205471555a0f0a373c3337934d34b.jpg
dba1017bab042258301798ed784bf863.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Hmm, 10 dBm is a significant difference. It does however look like the 225 and 245 both support mesh if I have to go that direction....

Also, can you bind the bridge port on the EAP245 to a specific VLAN or does it inherit whatever VLAN assignment the main port receives. E.G. if it's trunked the bridge will pass trunked traffic and Untagged Untagged. I was playing with the emulator for the Omada controller but did not see anything stand out allowing you to configure the Bridge port.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!