What's new

TP-Link TL-SX1008

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Snapshot

Occasional Visitor
Has anyone tried a TP-Link TL-SX1008 8-port unmanaged 10Gbe switch yet or know anything particularly good or bad about them?
I'm in need of an 8-port switch for 2.5Gb and 10Gb devices so this one at around £300 looks tempting.

Having now bought one, I advise no-one else to do so unless it's going in a comms cabinet as it's noisy. The fan is too loud to be acceptable when sitting on a desk and what make it worse is that the fan ramps up and down with load so the noise isn't constant. I've had a conversation with Pamela in TP-Link support who was sympathetic but unable to help so I've suggested that R&D are made aware of the problem as I expect anyone else buying this switch will also complain. I'm not sure whether to send it back or try changing the fan myself as it seems to function well.

Any 'active cooling' via fan is 'too loud' for a switch. Particularly for a switch sitting on the same desktop as where anyone is working at.

Inexpensive 8 port 10GbE switches are hard to come by.

I bought the QNAP QSW-M408-4C 10 GbE managed switch ( 4 10GbE + 8 1GbE). Nice switch and it's quiet. But flow control is messed up. They are supposedly working on it, but in the meantime, I switched my 10GbE NIC from Aquantia-based TP-Link TX401 to Intel X540-T2 and that fixed my problem for now.

Another 4 port option is ZyXEL XGS1250-12, but it has only 3 10GbE ports.

Any 'active cooling' via fan is 'too loud' for a switch. Particularly for a switch sitting on the same desktop as where anyone is working at.
Not necessarily true. The QNAP switch is about as loud as a spinning hard drive.

And while I wouldn't call a spinning hard drive 'loud' anymore, even inches away from me, (old ears), my younger relatives would (particularly the females).

How loud is "too loud"?

A prominently advertised feature of this "desktop" device is:
Considerably louder than my desktop (okay, floor-standing) PC and two NAS with a total of 10 HDDs combined. It's a particularly irritating note and, as I said, made worse by the varying pitch (or volume?).
I also have a Netgear MS510TX which is actively cooled and I have to listen hard to hear any noise from that.

Yes that is too loud by any definition. I had a similar problem with a noisy 40x20mm fan in a desktop microserver. I swapped it with a quiet fan of matching specs (voltage, CFM and RPM) and it was then totally silent, in part because it could run much slower while providing the same cooling.

Last edited:
I've now had a look inside (easy case removal with just six screws) and, as expected, it's a 40x20mm fan with a standard 3-pin connector. I looked up the part no. and it's a standard Sunon item shifting 10.8cfm by spinning at 6800rpm. That explains the noise and I'm struggling to find an alternative that provides more than half that airflow. Resonance may be part of the problem as the fan is bolted to a fairly thin metal chassis so isolating it may help.

What is the part number? We'd need that to look for an equivalent because we also need to know the voltage and whether it's PWM or analogue.

Even though the fan is capable of running at 6800 rpm do you think it ever does? In my experience these things usually never reach more than about 50% duty unless they're fitted in a server rack.

Last edited:
Ha! Like it.

@ColinTaylor It's a Sunon EF40201BX-Q18C-F99 - 12V, 1.44W, analogue as it's a 3-pin connector. I've managed to find Sunon's fan data sheet but that only has the A99, not the F99. The difference seems to be that the F99 draws twice the current of the A99 for the same speed and flow rate.

This is a crazy little 6800rpm 10.8CFM fan! Does the switch have vertical take-off feature? :rolleyes:

The F99 indicates that it has "3rd wire with rotation detector waveform". Which is not the same as G99 "frequency generation waveform".

Untitled.png

On the positive side the third wire is only a sensor output rather than a control input. So my first thought is how critical is this sensor? Would a replacement fan that didn't have this output cause the switch to alarm or run the fan continuously at 100%.

The F99 indicates that it has "3rd wire with rotation detector waveform". Which is not the same as G99 "frequency generation waveform".

View attachment 35402

On the positive side the third wire is only a sensor output rather than a control input. So my first thought is how critical is this sensor? Would a replacement fan that didn't have this output cause the switch to alarm or run the fan continuously at 100%.

I'd try a noctua nf-a4x20flx in it's place - it's 3-wire and should be markedly lower than the sunon (so much of the noise on those small fans comes down to blade profile)

I'd try a noctua nf-a4x20flx in it's place - it's 3-wire and should be markedly lower than the sunon (so much of the noise on those small fans comes down to blade profile)
That's exactly what I was thinking. I wasn't sure what method Noctua uses for its rotation sensor though. The pinout looks to be the same as in the reddit post, which isn't always the case with OEM devices.

https://noctua.at/en/productfaqs/productfaq/view/id/181/
https://noctua.at/en/what-pin-configuration-do-noctua-12v-fans-use

Last edited:
How much the switch heats up in operation? The Noctua fan is quieter, but with 1/2 air flow. It may run at high speeds all the time.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I wasn't sure what method Noctua uses for its rotation sensor though. The pinout looks to be the same as in the reddit post, which isn't always the case with OEM devices.

https://noctua.at/en/productfaqs/productfaq/view/id/181/
https://noctua.at/en/what-pin-configuration-do-noctua-12v-fans-use

noctua will be a tach output - but sounds like that person on reddit used a tach style fan anyway, even though the stock tp-link fan is r-type not f-type

my guess is that tp-link isn't even looking at the output on the 3rd pin - since r-type only really tells you if the fan is stalled

How much the switch heats up in operation? The Noctua fan is quieter, but with 1/2 air flow. It may run at high speeds all the time.

I reckon there's enough room on that side panel to mount a 2nd 40mm fan and run dual fans - that should get the flow back up whilst keeping the noise down