What's new

TP-Link WiFi 6 router advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What type devices? If phones/tablets - you're wasting yours and everyone else's tim

AX55 is one of the few standalone 2x2 + 2x2 solutions with QCA platform. It might work better than the older BCM offerings with a single 6755 SoC such as AX21. Try both?

It's hard to recommend AX55 (at current $99 price point) as there are plenty of alternative solutions which have sold for half the cost. (similar level of hardware).

AX55 supports DFS, though you may have trouble connecting to your Roku if using that feature. (Not hardware supported).
Thanks..I'm a bit confused by your post since you seem to recommend the AX55 at first, then say its difficult to in the next sentence. Unlike many of the members here, I use WiFi sparingly due to congestion. My Android phone has an auto-WiFi connect feature which rarely works due to congestion so I was hoping to resolve it with a stronger signal. It does not support WiFi 6 though. The Roku is connected with my powerline network via Ethernet, though it easily logs into the WiFi network if I select it.

Not sure what so much congestion you are talking about. I own 850 sq. ft. condo downtown Toronto and I regularly see 30+ wireless networks on each 2.4GHz and 5GHz band. I had one RT-AC1900P running there before (similar to your RT-AC68P) and it was doing >40Mbps on 2.4GHz 20MHz (channel 4) and >300Mbps on 5GHz 80MHz (channel 40). No problem with congestion whatsoever. Not all networks around are active all the time and there is still plenty of available bandwidth. If you have Wi-Fi coverage issue just get a newer router and you have a chance. Or get a Deco M4 2-pack* and run it in AP mode to your existing Asus router with Wi-Fi disabled. This way you get the coverage + Asuswrt features. M4 2-pack is around $100 and works well.

* - >500Mbps to 2-stream AC client to main router, >200Mbps to satellite in wireless "mesh" mode. Wired >500Mbps to both. Single SSID, App control.

Last edited:
Compared Asus and TP-Link routers.
TP-Link charges a premium subscription for basic network protection like DDoS Protection. This is a basic feature on routers since generations, and now paid service?
Come on TP-Link. Their avira service calling home is another reason i will stay with Asus.

HomeCare on TP-Link is the same TrendMicro engine used in Asus routers.

@jontalk just pick your poison. You’re asking for new router advice since mid September. You’re going to miss all holiday sales and in January we’ll start again with more new router advice questions.

HomeCare on TP-Link is the same TrendMicro engine used in Asus routers.

@jontalk just pick your poison. You’re asking for new router advice since mid September. You’re going to miss all holiday sales and in January we’ll start again with more new router advice questions.
Again, I appreciate the advice and apologize for not being up to speed with network technology.

See post 2. Still an excellent option for the router you're upgrading from. And it has received 388.xx level firmware already.

Btw, it has also surpassed the RT-AX86U too in downloads/week. Don't believe the FUD. Try it and see in your own environment to know.

You just don’t trust any of the suggestions given to you and this conversation is going nowhere. You asked for TP-Link, then for answers from someone using it, then questions if it’s going to work in your environment… we are talking about $100-150 here. Just pick one and try it out. Your 3 wireless devices are losing patience already. :)

Thanks..I'm a bit confused by your post since you seem to recommend the AX55 at first, then say its difficult to in the next sentence. Unlike many of the members here, I use WiFi sparingly due to congestion. My Android phone has an auto-WiFi connect feature which rarely works due to congestion so I was hoping to resolve it with a stronger signal. It does not support WiFi 6 though. The Roku is connected with my powerline network via Ethernet, though it easily logs into the WiFi network if I select it.

I recommended AX73 for a sure proof solution due to its higher end 4x4 5G chip, though I still think $140 is overpriced relatively speaking (vs market options and what you can have for a little more or less). The recommendation is based on TPlink's lineup as you made it clear you don't want to branch outside of this brand.

AX55 @ $99 USD is likely better than the older entry BCM 6755 SoC solutions such as AX21 (currently $70 USD), but obviously weaker than AX73 with its dedicated BCM43684 4x4 chip + amps. How much better? I can't tell you, but 2x2 penetration is worse in general, hence why higher end designs exist. Both AX21 and AX55 are 2x2. (AX55 supports 160mhz bonding and DFS)

The 4x4 hardware will help with heavy congestion/walls/objects, though if you're only 5 FT away from the router, they perform within max hardware throughput limitation up to port speed. 2x2 vs 4x4 MIMO won't matter as much with 2x2 client at close range. Hope that makes sense? Higher end MIMO exist for penetration more than client connectivity.

There have been plenty of alternative solutions with a similar level of 2x2 hardware that have sold for $50 USD via other brands.. such as Walmart selling RAX35 V2 for $49.99 back in August. Which funny enough has the same BCM6750 + BCM43684 combo as AX73, but with the main 5G radio half disabled into 2x2 mode (Tried it for fun, didn't come close to my GT-AC2900 at the time). RAX35 V1 was the same defunct intel platform that the outdated Wirecutter "review" recommends as a top pick (TPLINK AX50).

Again.. buy every router in your budget. Return the worse performing models for your situation. We cannot help you until you do.

I would agree with @L&LD and try the AX68U even though its a 3x3 5G config as I'm biased to ASUS hardware after using every other brand and messing with more recent models. Firmware/SW is usually a step above Netgear and TP-LINK. Upgrade pick is AX86S.. Which is same HW as AX68U, but with a better 5G chip. $40 USD price difference currently.. (You can trade in an old router to Best Buy and get the price of AX86S down to $153 USD pre tax)

I would even go as far as to recommend GT-AC2900/AC86U if sub $100 USD <, but this is my bias in my environment. Every 2x2 AX solution ive used sucks in my home (1700 SQFT, moderate congestion). Again YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
So much drama for $100. Most likely all the suggestions above have better Wi-Fi than 10-years old technology AC68U.

Too expensive. This one is 68 cents cheaper:

Definitely can't beat that deal!

1670293421198.png

Not sure what so much congestion you are talking about. I own 850 sq. ft. condo downtown Toronto and I regularly see 30+ wireless networks on each 2.4GHz and 5GHz band. I had one RT-AC1900P running there before (similar to your RT-AC68P) and it was doing >40Mbps on 2.4GHz 20MHz (channel 4) and >300Mbps on 5GHz 80MHz (channel 40). No problem with congestion whatsoever. Not all networks around are active all the time and there is still plenty of available bandwidth. If you have Wi-Fi coverage issue just get a newer router and you have a chance. Or get a Deco M4 2-pack* and run it in AP mode to your existing Asus router with Wi-Fi disabled. This way you get the coverage + Asuswrt features. M4 2-pack is around $100 and works well.

* - >500Mbps to 2-stream AC client to main router, >200Mbps to satellite in wireless "mesh" mode. Wired >500Mbps to both. Single SSID, App control.
This is it:

View attachment 46031
We don't want to go too current here. If we do, then the congestion will impact the performance. No one uses wireless G networking anymore, so my guess is that the congestion will be minimal to none. That is some great future proofing if I ever heard of any!

You have a point. Wireless-B router may even restore the piece on the Wi-Fi battlefield.

1670295080735.png

End of Life - means for neighbors' routers. They will surrender in 1h time. Happy life after.

I recommended AX73 for a sure proof solution due to its higher end 4x4 5G chip, though I still think $140 is overpriced relatively speaking (vs market options and what you can have for a little more or less). The recommendation is based on TPlink's lineup as you made it clear you don't want to branch outside of this brand.

AX55 @ $99 USD is likely better than the older entry BCM 6755 SoC solutions such as AX21 (currently $70 USD), but obviously weaker than AX73 with its dedicated BCM43684 4x4 chip + amps. How much better? I can't tell you, but 2x2 penetration is worse in general, hence why higher end designs exist. Both AX21 and AX55 are 2x2. (AX55 supports 160mhz bonding and DFS)

The 4x4 hardware will help with heavy congestion/walls/objects, though if you're only 5 FT away from the router, they perform within max hardware throughput limitation up to port speed. 2x2 vs 4x4 MIMO won't matter as much with 2x2 client at close range. Hope that makes sense? Higher end MIMO exist for penetration more than client connectivity.

There have been plenty of alternative solutions with a similar level of 2x2 hardware that have sold for $50 USD via other brands.. such as Walmart selling RAX35 V2 for $49.99 back in August. Which funny enough has the same BCM6750 + BCM43684 combo as AX73, but with the main 5G radio half disabled into 2x2 mode (Tried it for fun, didn't come close to my GT-AC2900 at the time). RAX35 V1 was the same defunct intel platform that the outdated Wirecutter "review" recommends as a top pick (TPLINK AX50).

Again.. buy every router in your budget. Return the worse performing models for your situation. We cannot help you until you do.

I would agree with @L&LD and try the AX68U even though its a 3x3 5G config as I'm biased to ASUS hardware after using every other brand and messing with more recent models. Firmware/SW is usually a step above Netgear and TP-LINK. Upgrade pick is AX86S.. Which is same HW as AX68U, but with a better 5G chip. $40 USD price difference currently.. (You can trade in an old router to Best Buy and get the price of AX86S down to $153 USD pre tax)

I would even go as far as to recommend GT-AC2900/AC86U if sub $100 USD <, but this is my bias in my environment. Every 2x2 AX solution ive used sucks in my home (1700 SQFT, moderate congestion). Again YMMV.
Really appreciate the options and details and having used only Netgear and Asus, the latter that has proved the best.

I'll come in from left-field - GL-Inet...

QCA, openwrt foundation, and initial reports are quite positive...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!