What's new

TP-Link WiFi 6 router advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BCM4366E (AC86U, AC 4x4) outperforms BCM43684 (AX86U, AX 4x4) in my environment as well. AX86U with it's 4x4 radio has the same range as AX20 with built-in SoC BCM6755 2x2 radio. Go figure. Perhaps there are other design elements in play here, not only the environment. By the way, some TP-Link routers have very high quality printed PCB antennas. High quality in sense well engineered.
It could be that an AC86U may have outperformed an AX86U in my environment as well. But I chose to go for the newer product for several reasons - reported heating issues, WiFi 6 support, likely longer product support life. And it turned out to be a substantial upgrade that did what I wanted it to do.

I also don't recommend AC86U for multiple reasons:

On top of that - it's on life support stuck to 386 firmware.

I also don't recommend AC86U for multiple reasons:

On top of that - it's on life support stuck to 386 firmware.

I mean could be worse.. TPlink and Netgear rarely update anything.

Still think GT-AC2900/AC86U is a valid cheap router in the $90-100 USD price range (on sale) over AX 2x2 stuff, but thats my bias from using multiple design/MIMO configs. YMMV.

Edit: Again, people should buy multiple routers in budget and return worse performing models. There is no objectiveness in what is "best" aside from MIMO config being superior. Results vary..

Last edited by a moderator:
As I read through these countless comments, I've yet to hear from members that own a TP-Link router which was the purpose of this posting, LOL. My desire is to improve range of AC68P and future proof with WiFi 6. Thanks so much!

As I read through these countless comments, I've yet to hear from members that own a TP-Link router which was the purpose of this posting, LOL. My desire is to improve range of AC68P and future proof with WiFi 6. Thanks so much!
Yeah. I think TP-Link routers are a great value. Just relatively light on features and firmware updates. So I wouldn't buy one as long as I can afford better.

The members of this forum use mostly Asus and Netgear home routers. Wrong place to ask questions about TP-Link.
I appreciate the response and recommendations. At the end of the day, it appears that there are countless elements in an environment that dictate a router's range. And comments stating use of a phone as indicator has me wonder whether a something newer will actually make a difference. Regardless, I'm grateful for the feedback.

The members of this forum use mostly Asus and Netgear home routers. Wrong place to ask questions about TP-Link.
One more question if you don't mind. I've read L&D's settings recommendations for the RT-AC68U which include disabling all the beam forming settings. I own a OnePlus 8 phone which has very good hardware specs and wonder if enabling one or more of the beam forming settings might improve its reception. Thanks

802.11ax/ac Beamforming - Enable
Universal Beamforming - Disable

I've yet to hear from members that own a TP-Link router
I have several TP-Link routers (currently mainly ER605/TL-R605) that I use for other purposes (I used to use models with Wifi but they quickly lost manufacturer support and did not receive firmware updates).
For home and small office purposes, I mostly use Asus RT-AX56U due to the long support for firmware updates.
For larger surfaces, I use UniFi AP (Ubiquiti) or Omada AP (TP-Link).

802.11ax/ac Beamforming - Enable
Universal Beamforming - Disable
Thanks..I currently have both AC and Universal beam forming disabled since that's what others have recommended. I just tried enabling AC beam forming and the signal strength seemed to have lessened. Thanks anyway

It is difficult for me to clearly state whether there is an improvement - I do not have the possibility to conduct laboratory tests.
Look: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/does-beamforming-really-work/
and https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/how-we-test-wifi-revision-11/
One more thing, I think this will work better for devices that do not change their position. You move your phone all the time to a different place, so you will not gain coverage this way.

Last edited:
It is difficult for me to clearly state whether there is an improvement - I do not have the possibility to conduct laboratory tests.
Look: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/does-beamforming-really-work/
and https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/how-we-test-wifi-revision-11/
One more thing, I think this will work better for devices that do not change their position. You move your phone all the time to a different place, so you will not gain coverage this way.
Very interesting..when I checked the WiFi analyzer I noticed nearly all neighbor signals on the 80 mHz bandwidth so I changed mine to 40..I'll turn AC beamforming on and see what happens.

40mhz is 80mhz. It shares bonding with the wider channels.

Turning off/disabling 80mhz will improve SNR, but local interference won't change and you will obviously lose throughput, max speed and innately increase latency from using a smaller channel width.

Just buy a 4x4 5G AX router and call it a day... You won't have to worry about "what could have been" and you'll have something fairly decent relative to the entire WIFI market.

If you're set on TPLINK, the AX73 is 4x4 BCM43684 + 2x2 BCM6750 A7 SoC. Amazon is selling it for $139.99 USD.. You can find better value elsewhere, but that seems to be the lowest end 4x4 5G offering from this company.

40mhz is 80mhz. It shares bonding with the wider channels.

Turning off/disabling 80mhz will improve SNR, but local interference won't change and you will obviously loose throughput, max speed and innately increase latency from using a smaller channel width.

Just buy a 4x4 5G AX router and call it a day... You won't have to worry about "what could have been" and you'll have something fairly decent relative to the entire WIFI market.

If you're set on TPLINK, the AX73 is 4x4 BCM43684 + 2x2 BCM6750 A7 SoC. Amazon is selling it for $139.99 USD.. You can find better value elsewhere, but that seems to be the lowest end 4x4 5G offering from this company.
Thanks again for the advice..I'll look into the AX73 though I feel the AX55 might be adequate since I only have 3 devices using WiFi due to the power line network. BTW, I use a Roku Ultra for streaming and after changing the beamforming/channel bandwidth settings, I logged it into the 5 gHz band and it showed 'excellent' in the connection quality settings.

Thanks again for the advice..I'll look into the AX73 though I feel the AX55 might be adequate since I only have 3 devices using WiFi due to the power line network. BTW, I use a Roku Ultra for streaming and after changing the beamforming/channel bandwidth settings, I logged it into the 5 gHz band and it showed 'excellent' in the connection quality settings.

AX55 is one of the few standalone 2x2 + 2x2 solutions with QCA platform. It might work better than the older BCM offerings with a single 6755 SoC such as AX21. Try both?

It's hard to recommend AX55 (at current $99 price point) as there are plenty of alternative solutions which have sold for half the cost. (similar level of hardware).

AX55 supports DFS, though you may have trouble connecting to your Roku if using that feature. (Not hardware supported).

I have a 300 mbps Internet connection and live in a 1000 sq ft condo where there is lots of congestion.

Ultimately you are going to face physics... in condo's, it's a dense environment, and noise limited for WiFi...

Most WiFi5 based solutions will saturate a 1000 sq ft space with signal - even in 5GHz these days.

The real limit is the client devices, and proximity to the AP - wireless, like real estate, location is key...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!