What's new

Transmit wifi to a separate building 100' feet away?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trauts14

Occasional Visitor
I have old routers with DD-WRT, and have a couple of cheap access points. Would a directional access point (cheap TP Link) be capable of handling this distance? I have no idea how far access points will carry a signal when deployed in a line of sight situation with zero obstructions. Thanks.

I have old routers with DD-WRT, and have a couple of cheap access points. Would a directional access point (cheap TP Link) be capable of handling this distance? I have no idea how far access points will carry a signal when deployed in a line of sight situation with zero obstructions. Thanks.

As you are giving us no useful information, I don't think anyone can give a useful answer.

What are the routers? What version of DD-WRT? What is the expected throughput? Will these be installed inside or outside? Will you be using modified antenna? Or buying two highly directional antenna?

As a first guess; I think you may be wasting your time if you require much more than mere browsing the web or checking email with cheap and old equipment with third party firmware, which usually has less throughput than stock drivers.

Sorry, I should have been clear. The old equip is only if needed for a bridge etc. Basically I want to use my Linksys e1200 attached to my tp-link AP and transmit a signal to a building 100 feet away. I didnt know is an AP could reach this far or if something else was needed, e.g. bridge. I am new to this. I am only going to be web surfing in the separate building.

Again, without knowing the building construction I would say this will be a waste of time.

If you don't have two dedicated routers with directional antennae pointed to each other as a bridge, then even surfing the web may be undoable depending on the specific location of the routers and materials used in the buildings.

I agree with Stevetech.

I mean, yeah, if you put a couple of bog standard, even old 11g AP/routers in windows line of sight, 100ft, you could deffinitely setup a wireless bridge between the buildings, no sweat. Even better if you can mount the antennas outside. If they have to go through exterior walls though, probably not over 100ft (at least not with any kind of real usable throughput).

The linked APs would work great, even over a couple of thousand feet (so long as line of sight). Heck, even over 100ft through some exterior walls (unless thick poured concrete with rebar) it should work just fine too. High power radios + 14dBi panel antennas on each end = very strong signal.

For a point to point bridge link, you want a LOT of margin in the received signal strength - like 20dB or more.
That's why the outdoor bridges with 14dBi antennas. A bit of an overkill for 100' - these would probably do 1000-2000 ft line of sight.
But they're inexpensive.

Indoor gear, nah.

For a point to point bridge link, you want a LOT of margin in the received signal strength - like 20dB or more.
That's why the outdoor bridges with 14dBi antennas. A bit of an overkill for 100' - these would probably do 1000-2000 ft line of sight.
But they're inexpensive.

Indoor gear, nah.

Deffinitely a huge selling point. They are cheap, so why not ;)

Not much price difference between them and a couple of good 2.4GHz 300Mbps routers. Only issue I really have with the bridges is they are 10/100 ports only. However, still means you'll likely manage port speed on the link at 100ft (might be able to manage port speed at 1,000ft still, 14dBi plus 600mw radios on both ends is a VERY strong signal line of sight).

one perk of the bridges is, that with a 14dBi panel antenna, the signal is going to be relatively narrow. I think you are looking at something like 10-15 degree HHPBW and roughly the same VHPBW, which means you aren't blanketing an entire area with your point to point bridge. Also MUCH better firmware/interface designed specifically for setting up a wireless bridge. Easy setup and design to live outdoors and be feed POE.

Though, if you have the time and don't mind the effort, a couple of, as an example, TP-Link WDR3600 with some short pigtails run outside with the antennas on the outside of the buildings can probably setup a higher speed link at 100ft, due in large part to the gigabit ports not limiting the speed of the link. That and you could run 5GHz 40MHz easily and probably still have a link speed at 100ft >100Mbps. Or if you need a stronger signal, upgrade to some 9dBi omnis, or a couple of 16dBi yagi antennas, or a couple of 14dBi panel antennas or whatever and up your link budget significantly. Though there you are increasing the cost significantly above that of the outdoor bridges linked. Though you'll also probably get a usable link >150Mbps and possibly >200Mbps (not link rate, payload rate) for probably less than $200 total.

I'd personally go the "bodge it together" route, but it is NOT fast and easy setup. Lots of tinkering.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!