What's new

Trend Micro AIProtection - disappointing alert message - VP victim

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just got an AC68U and tried to set up alerting to a dummy Gmail address, but I get this email from Gmail once I do.

Hi Kevin,
Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account blah@gmail.com from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards.
Details:
Tuesday, May 31, 2016 10:54 AM (Pacific Daylight Time)
We strongly recommend that you use a secure app, like Gmail, to access your account. All apps made by Google meet these security standards. Using a less secure app, on the other hand, could leave your account vulnerable.

Sooo.....that's not going to work, is it? lol
If you figure it out let me know too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got an AC68U and tried to set up alerting to a dummy Gmail address, but I get this email from Gmail once I do.

Hi Kevin,
Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account blah@gmail.com from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards.
Details:
Tuesday, May 31, 2016 10:54 AM (Pacific Daylight Time)
We strongly recommend that you use a secure app, like Gmail, to access your account. All apps made by Google meet these security standards. Using a less secure app, on the other hand, could leave your account vulnerable.

Sooo.....that's not going to work, is it? lol

Just updated to an RT-AC68U from an RT-N66 - decided to try this and got the same message.

Please search. This is a well known issue with gmail.

Yes did that and see lots of different reports from various email clients etc.

So are you saying gmail won't work with alerts from Asus routers?

I've been contacted by Vanic, "ASUS SW RD vanic, responsible for AiProtection related functions (TrendMicro)" . He's noted the comments in this topic and is very keen to improve AIProtection and the associted FAQs. He's also noted the deficiencies, even though some are outside his area of responsibility. I've offered to help in any way with reviewing the English and the content of the FAQs, and he's going to get back to me in a week or so.

If you've been contacted by vanic - this is indeed a very good thing - I've interacted here with him, and he's d**m sharp at what he does. There are things beyond his control, but he's the right guy to work with...

If you've been contacted by vanic - this is indeed a very good thing - I've interacted here with him, and he's d**m sharp at what he does. There are things beyond his control, but he's the right guy to work with...

He is indeed, and most pleasant and helpful, too.

....are you saying gmail won't work with alerts from Asus routers?

Gmail works very well with Asus alerts but I had to enable two-factor authentication.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ai...ce-prevention-and-blocking.32394/#post-257933
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ai...ce-prevention-and-blocking.32394/#post-257933