What's new

Trio of new routers just hit the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Seems to be a mid-range AX model (probably this, assuming they haven't made any changes since the original announcement):

https://fccid.io/MSQ-RTAXJ300

This one would be the successor to Lyra's line of products, as it's rebranded ZenWifi according to the sample label on the FCC submission, and also is tri-band (meaning dedicated backhaul):

https://fccid.io/MSQ-RTACJ900

This one I guess could be a successor to the RT-AC1200:

https://fccid.io/MSQ-RTACRH01

Last edited:
I went to best buy yesterday and saw that they are now selling the RT-AX58U. At $180 it seems like a decent mid range router. To bad they didn't use a 1GB RAM. It comes with the 256MB/512MB configuration, same as RT-AC86U. Also strange that the lower end RT-AX56U comes with a Quad-Core SoC and this one with a Tri-Core SoC. Do you think this router and the RT-AX56U might become part of your firmware offering in the near future?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-w...VgbbICh0tUAKZEAkYASABEgIUf_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

RT-AX56U: No idea, not enough info available yet to decide.
RT-AX58U: No. This is an Intel-based router. Note that its tri-core CPU is probably a bit slower than the Broadcom dual-core used in the RT-AC86U.

Number of cores mean very little in a router. You are more interested in the performance per core, and the presence of hardware-accelerated features, like AES or packet handling.

RT-AX58U: No. This is an Intel-based router. Note that its tri-core CPU is probably a bit slower than the Broadcom dual-core used in the RT-AC86U.

Number of cores mean very little in a router. You are more interested in the performance per core, and the presence of hardware-accelerated features, like AES or packet handling.

What about the AX89X one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about the AX89X one?

Qualcomm-based, and won't be available except in a few very select markets, so highly unlikely.

RT-AX58U is Broadcom based on the pre-released hardware I have.

BCM6750 Tri-Core 1.5Ghz + BCM43684 for 5Ghz 160Mhz with 512MB RAM

According to the FCC site the AX58U is Broadcom. ( Broadcom BCM6750) Any chance it can be supported by you ?

Hi Kal-EL or whomever can comment. I'm not having any luck searching on the FCC site locating that the RT-AX58U is broadcom based. Can a link to this be supplied? Where I received an RT-AX58U over the holidays and without tearing it apart to confirm what chipset is being used I'm very curious where on the FCC site it made reference to it being Broadcom based?

Thanks in advance - PACKET

More Broadcom sh*t coming your way, served on a platter by ASUS :p

More Broadcom sh*t coming your way, served on a platter by ASUS :p

Yes possibly. I do like Qualcom better but in this case if Merlin might be able to support the AX58U then all the better. If not then so be it not a huge deal my AX58 works very well and so far I am happy with it's performance. o_O

Thanks for the link! Oh .. I did some digging via telnet which I initially forgot to do prior to my initial post and can confirm that my RT-AX58U is broadcom based. Also as "aurzin" mentioned it also uses BCM43684 for the 5G_AX 160Mhz.

-----@RT-AX58U:/proc# cat socinfo
SoC Name :BCM6750
Revision :A2
wl1: Broadcom BCM43684 802.11 Wireless Controller 17.10.99.7 (r777012)

It would be cool as you have already hinted if Merlin could offer support for this new product.

Regards - PACKET

Hey Thanks for confirming this very nice. Now if Merlin only reads this and offers a reply. :)

I'm thinking about picking up a AX58U to replace my 86u. My 86u seems to freeze and reboot almost daily now.
If the AX58U is compatible, hopefully it will soon be supported.

8c0382167d0ed4d209c423f7d59c527c.jpg

I can't believe that the RT-AX86U still features (presumably) 3 external antennae and 1 internal one! :)

Asus, this is not progress! Lol...

Of course, testing will tell the truth if this is a worthy upgrade or not. With no real design change, a change in price is certainly not warranted over the RT-AC86U though. :)