What's new

Trio of new routers just hit the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

so will it be the same chip as the AX88U or something else? any news on a release date ?

@RMerlin, it would be more real if all the ports were 2.5Gbps or better.

Is it confirmed that it will still be a 3 (external) antennae design?

@RMerlin, it would be more real if all the ports were 2.5Gbps or better.

The BCM4908 (assuming this is what they use) only has one single 2.5 Gbps port AFAIK, so to offer more ports would require adding an extra switch chip, which would significantly increase the price and power budget. That model is clearly not targeted as the top of the line product, that spot will be taken by the RT-AX89X.

The presence of a 2.5 Gbps port is pretty "real" to me.

This is a biggie for me, more so than AX. If AC wifi is as good or better than the AC86U and its Broadcom-based with Merlin support, I'll be buying one of these.

The BCM4908 (assuming this is what they use) only has one single 2.5 Gbps port AFAIK, so to offer more ports would require adding an extra switch chip, which would significantly increase the price and power budget. That model is clearly not targeted as the top of the line product, that spot will be taken by the RT-AX89X.

A partial solution is this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LFKGP1L/?tag=snbforums-20

Still forces all wifi traffic going onto the wired LAN through a single 2.5 Gbps line, but its a start. Besides, I'm not aware of any wifi routers that have a more than one 2.5+ Gbps port. Even the AX11000U and the RAX200 only have a single 2.5+ Gbps port.

Wonder if some models like AX86 will be held up for 6E inclusion?

I can't believe that the RT-AX86U still features (presumably) 3 external antennae and 1 internal one! :)

Asus, this is not progress! Lol...

Of course, testing will tell the truth if this is a worthy upgrade or not. With no real design change, a change in price is certainly not warranted over the RT-AC86U though. :)

What you talking about, the form factor it's excellent, it's the only reason I'm still holding to my 86U waiting for a descent replacement for my 86U on the same form factor, and I know like me you should have a least a few hundred guys out there waiting for the same.

Form factor? Form follows function for me. :)

I know, you can put in all the functions you want or need and the router still can look like the 86U

Not really. :)