1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Troubleshooting slow simultaneous wireless transfer

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by creatine, Aug 25, 2019.

1. creatine

creatine Occasional Visitor

I am trying to figure out a slow wireless issue I am experiencing. If its "normal" behavior due to the nature of wireless. When uploading files via LAN transfer (mapped windows drive) from my PC to Media Center and PC downloading from the internet simultaneously both speeds suffer and slow to a crawl. Ex: My internet downloads go from 50mbit (my max internet connection) to about 10Mbit. LAN transfer goes from 13MB\Sec to about 5MB\sec. I would expect both speeds to remain maxed out (13MB\s LAN transfer and 50mbit download) on my PC. Doing anything network related from my PC is extremely slow during this time. If I stop the LAN transfer or the download everything goes back to normal.

Is this "normal" for wireless ? Are there any settings on the router than could cause this ?

I have tried updating wireless card drivers.

Running RT-AC3100 ASUS Merlin 384.13

PC:
    Windows 10
    Asus USB AC68 adapter connected to USB3 port
    Connected to 5Gz
    upload_2019-8-25_18-46-23.png
    upload_2019-8-25_18-49-4.png

Meda center:
    Windows server 2008
    Asus N53 adapter
    Connected to 5Gz network
    upload_2019-8-25_18-46-2.png

upload_2019-8-25_18-58-21.png

upload_2019-8-25_18-59-13.png

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  2. Val D.

Val D. Senior Member

What else is running on that router?
    User Scripts, QoS, Apps Analysis, AiProtect, Traffic Analyzer, Web History, etc.?

Disable everything not routing related and test again. You may get surprised by the results.

3. creatine

creatine Occasional Visitor

I am running QoS (Fresh Jr), Diversion and AI protection. I'll disable all of it and try again

Edit: Same result. Disabled all the above. Seems the "upload" LAN transfter kills the download speed on the PC.