What's new

Trying to Block CCTV camera from getting talking to Chinese Servers - Firmware Version:386.01_2-gnuton1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

frizby1966

New Around Here
Hi, hope someone can help. I am running DSL-AC68U with Firmware Version:386.01_2-gnuton1.

Everything works fine, however I am trying to stop a Chinese CCTV camera from logging onto a server in China and changing its time/date. I have tried using the blacklist option and through Wireshark, can see the camera logging into a couple of ip addresses in China, so have tried to block the camera talking to anything outside my Lan, and also talking to the servers and their IP ranges but it still gets through. Any thoughts? (have included Wireshark screen shot and Asus config)

Screenshot 2021-03-26 at 11.31.15.png

Screenshot 2021-03-26 at 11.28.56.png

I have a similar situation with a LeTV TV. It phones home every few minutes. I use SkyNet's country block feature to cut off any communication with servers in China (115.182.94.238):
1616763775970.png

There are at least 10 servers that are regularly contacted and blocked.

Why are you trying to block 244.0.0.0/24? That's local multicast traffic so you can't block that. What is your thinking behind this? Likewise, 239.255.255.1/24 is also local multicast so those rules are also redundant.

Why not just block all traffic from the camera to the internet? At the moment you're only blocking ports 1 to 10000 which will almost certainly be ineffective as most source ports will be >32767.

Last edited:
Why are you trying to block 244.0.0.0/24? That's local multicast traffic so you can't block that. What is your thinking behind this? Likewise, 239.255.255.1/24 is also local multicast so those rules are also redundant.

Why not just block all traffic from the camera to the internet? At the moment you're only blocking ports 1 to 10000 which will almost certainly be ineffective as most source ports will be >32767.
@itpp20 pointed me in the right direction. Dropped the other ip addresses and blocked the entire port range and sorted the issue. Didn’t realise the the IP addresses were multicast at the time, All sorted

If you want a clean solution to your request, have a look here:

I have been using the IPCamsBlock.sh script from @Martineau and it is working very well and in fact was created exactly to answer this purpose.

@itpp20 pointed me in the right direction. Dropped the other ip addresses and blocked the entire port range and sorted the issue. Didn’t realise the the IP addresses were multicast at the time, All sorted
You don't need to explicitly enter 1-65535 as the source or destination ports. Just leaving them blank has the same effect.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!